Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:48 PM   #1

Hi,
Excuse me for my foolishness but...
What does lens elements mean? The specifications page for my Nikon 8800 states that it has 16 element in 10 groups. Is an element a piece of glass lens? If so, how could they manage to put 16 lenses in a small camera? And what good will it make having 16 lenses when less than four or five moving lenses for zooming and focusing are enough? (or aren't they ?)
Thanks.
berkant_atay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:09 AM   #2

Lens Elements refers to the individual optical lenses that go into producing a lens. Groups refer to assembly of those individual elements within the lens. During assembly some of the individual elements are cemented together into an unseparable unit called a group (of lens elements).

Lenses, especially zoom lenses, can have many lens elements and groups. The total number of each is determined by the design of the lens. Each individual element has a function. They are used to correct focus, chromatic abberation, focal length and other factors.

It is all very dependant on the design of the lens and the optical performance required. Today's optical designs are quite complex as camera manufacturers produce zooms of increasingly greater range (wide to zoom ratio), not to mention the demands retractable lenses place upon the design, and optical performance.

Hope that helps.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:09 AM   #3

Sorry, don't you just love it when you hit post and NOTHING happens, so you hit post again!!!
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:17 PM   #4

Thanks very much for the reply. I should have known. Like today computers aren't made of only four chips like CPU, ROM, RAM, I/O, we shouldn't expect digital cameras to operate with 4-5 lenses!
berkant_atay is offline   Reply With Quote