Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 12, 2003, 1:45 PM   #1

Default Mayday! Need new camera help!

Thanks for responses to my questions about my old digital. Yes, we'll be purchasing a new one.

We went to Best Buy this morning and they have a floor model for sale, the Sony DSCP5 (3MP and 3 X optical), for $269.99. It's missing the USB cable and battery charger, though, so I'll need to find it somewhere through Sony.

We had our hands on the Sony DSC-P71 for 349.99 (also 3MP and 3X optical) and saw this other one and decided to compare before we bought.

I was also debating on the Kodak DX4900 for $359.99 (4 MP but only 2X optical).

Is it crazy to buy a floor model of an early version? Would Sony be better with 3X optical vs. Kodak's 2X?

Thanks for any advice on what to do!!!

Jill
Triplet mama to 2 1/2 year old triplets![/url]
Triplet Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:44 PM   #2

The battery for the Sony will not work without the battery charger. The Kodak 4900 will use AA NiMh batteries. I think this is the determining factor with these two specific cameras.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:15 PM   #3

Default comment

Not much differance in price so why buy something that has missing pieces which may cost and arm and aleg to buy individually.

I still like the sony, they have better image technology than the low end Kodak. Kodak has not done well on the low end cameras.
Also if you have a computer with USB ports get a seperate upload device they are about $35 to $50 and wont waste your batteries in your camera. did you read the revue summary on these two cameras?

Good luck

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:53 PM   #4

Check the camera over good and make sure they will take it back if you find something wrong!

Last time I was in Best Buy the guy next to me dropped the camera he was looking at. Luckily it was on the tether cord, but it still bounced off the counter and smacked the front of the display. He just put it back and walked away and the 14 year old expert that works at the counter didn't even flinch. So, I would be leary of display model cameras. I also enjoy watching the people feel the lens and LCD! :shock:
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 2:52 AM   #5

Whichever camera you buy, make sure you can return it and get your money back, not just another camera.
If you are a mom, you will probably be taking lots of pictures of kids indoors and in action. Make sure then that the camera has a flash that works well for more than 7 or 8 feet and that the camera can focus well indoors. Usually the ones that focus well indoors have a "focus assist lamp".
Checking Steve's reviews and those at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
should tell you all you need to know.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 8:17 AM   #6

Thank you so much (again) for the advice!

After spending way too much time reading reviews, I'm now of course pining for the Sony MVC-CD400. Champagne dreams on a beer budget! I think we'll be going for the DSCP71. I like our Sony now, so I guess I'll stick with the same brand.

Thanks again for all of your help and expertise!

Jill :
Triplet mama
Triplet Mama is offline   Reply With Quote