Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:02 AM   #1

:?

Does anyone have any suggestions on using a reflector. white or silver for outdoor in the trees.

Thanks
Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2

One thing to do is get a large reflector, at least a 42 inch. A good choice is a collapsible 5-in1 reflector that has a silver/gold cover for it. The main reflector body is white translucent & you can also reverse the cover to make a black surface. The white translucent is good for fill on very sunny days & can also be used as a shade overhead on sunny days too. The silver gives a cooler light & the gold give a warmer, sunset type of light.

A good 5-in-1 reflector would be someting like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Remember when using a reflector is to position it so the reflected light mimics natural light (you want the light to be either close to eye level or slightly above). Most people make the mistake of reflecting the light from too low a position, causing an unatural look. Having an assistant to help with reflector duties helps a great deal.

The image below was made in the shade under a large Oak tree in bright sun. Another photographer was positioned about 40 feet away (the closest place some sun rays were coming through the tree canopy). He was holding a 42", RedHead 5-in-1 reflector (gold side) over his head so the light would strike the model at eye level.
Attached Images

Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:04 PM   #3

Thanks for your help Kalypso, one more question, If there were 2 people in the picture, would you reflect it between them??
Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:03 PM   #4

2 people would require either a larger reflector (they do make larger 42" X 72" (& bigger) reflectors...but they are better for 3/4 or full body shots) or moving the reflector farther away to create a larger reflected beam of light. In your case, you want the light on both subjects, so you would want to move the reflector farther away (or use more than one).

For instance, in my photo, the assistant was about 40 feet away & the reflector lit a circle about 10-14 feet around the model (I was only concerned with her face, so I cropped in camera to emphasize that). I will also say that if he was closer, the reflected light would have been blinding to her...in those cases, a helpful tip is to count to 3 & trip the shutter as they open their eyes.

If the light being reflected is bright enough, moving the reflector farther away will incrementally increase the size of the beam. If very dim light (cloudy day, etc...aka the world's biggest softbox), you would be better off not worrying about placing the subject(s) in shade. Instead, use a white, translucent reflector to provide a soft fill light.

For that matter...in bright sunlight, I sometimes use a large white tranluscent reflector over a subject (to soften the light from above) and have them hold a 14" white reflector in front/under their face for fill. Even a white paper plate will work if you hold it at the right angle.

The image below was done using a 72x42" white translucent reflector on a cloudy day. She was standing under an open breezeway & the reflector was bowed directly in front of her from her feet on the ground to the camera position. Same model, btw...
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:15 AM   #5

Thanks again for responding, you nailed it right on the head for what I was needing to know!!

Great example btw, the reflector almost gives her a glow, or is that just her naturally? What a beautifull girl! I made a call to B & H today, Thanks, Shell