Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:25 PM   #1

Default can I use xd card on anything with an adapter?

Just a quick question....I use the xd card and was wondering if I purchased an adapter to convert the xd card into SmartMedia could I use it in ANY equipment? (photo printers, digital wallets)

Thanks!!!!
tina
imzaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:44 PM   #2

Do you mean some sort of adaptor which makes an xd card look and work like SM? Haven't heard of this, please post a link.

I have an adaptor that can read xd or SM cards.
VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:33 PM   #3
NHL

You can use xD in a CF slot when the adapter will available... I doubt you can use sD in an SM slot like voxmagna (or any other thin format like sD/MMC etc) said since any adapter that can be inserted with an xD card will be too thick for the other slot!

A reader that's different... the pins can be shared! Most printers or digital wallet support CF already (or a PCMCIA) on top of SM or any other formats.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 9:46 AM   #4

Retailers are selling a Fuji xD to CF adapter in UK for 45. Card sizes will eventually go up from 128Mb to 8GB. Spec. seems identical to SM, so should still be fast - same architecture, same power, smaller package, 2 more pins than SM (more addresses?). Not sure if all cams with 512Mb CF support, will see more on a bigger xD with adapter though, and native xD card speed might be slower if CF type drivers are put in the CF adapter.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:07 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
2 more pins than SM (more addresses?)
That's what I would have thought, but it looks like 2 less pins, unless someone screw up...
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/fujidc/xdcard/index.html

I don't see xD benefit in a CF adapter @ all unless I miss something.
An xD card with the same density as CF is always more expensive, and then to add another adapter at an additinal cost to use it in a CF slot is rather paradoxical. If one does it for speed or size then the microdrive is even cheaper at even lower cost still! :?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:50 AM   #6

I saw the same link and misread the 2 pins is less. I agree microdrive seems the most cost effective, unless you've already invested in xD and have older cams to share the newer cards.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:07 PM   #7
NHL

My 2c:

Fuji and Olympus are lilliput in a world of titans... this xD camp is fighting a side battle using their camera to push this technology, where the real WAR is in the Multimedia. Here two Giants, Sony (MemorySticks) and Matsushita (sD/MMC), are trying to dominate the field with all their might. Sony is putting their MS in every devices they make and also forcing their OEMs to do the same even though this format is pretty stinky and restrictive.
http://www.memorystick.org/topics/en...assaiment.html
Hey but they got the licence fees and the copy protection (ATRAC) they needed for the large record labels and movies franchises that they also happened to own (A 'PRO' version with more pins was just released to address their bottleneck issue).

The Panasonic sD/MMC camp are no small fries either:
http://www.sdcard.org/member.htm
Any winner in this format war will eventually be the ones that can go interchangeably in PDA, cell phones, MP3 players, TV/VCRs and digicams.

But you never know... this battle have been fought before if anyone at all remembered the early 80's, when Intel introduced a similar CF competing format (albeit with linear memories), they got trumped by a tiny no name outfit then called Sandisk. This company eventually won a spot in the laptops arena by using a controller to make their memories interface ATA/IDE compatible with the minimum of fuss, and kept the CF format alive to this day...