Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:07 PM   #1

Default stop the madness! Help Help!!!

Hello,

This is my first post to the awesome site. I am having lots of trouble figuring out which digi camera to buy. Hopefully after listing what I would like out of a digi camera you all can guide me in the right direction. I have looked at c5050, s602, 5700, 7hi, etc etc. It seems the more I look the more confused I get lol.

What I would like out of the camera.

1.Speed to shoot multiple pictures rapidly "the s602 seems to be great at it." I am looking for something I could shoot say sports or like an air show and capture a few pics rapidly in a row.

2.Be able to print at least a excellent photo quality 8x10.

3. something with a really good zoom or at least can addon addition lens for further zoom.

4. Decent quality night shots.

5. last manual features , like manual focus etc etc "auto and manual features, as the girlfriend will be using the camera to just point and shoot"

6. Don't want to spend over $1000

Thanks a million for any replies.
ps currently I am really looking at the fuji s602, just not sure if 3mp is enough for 8x10 or alittle larger photo quality prints. Also not sure on night shots with it.
djimmy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:24 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
It seems the more I look the more confused I get
You'll be more confused after you asked :lol: :lol: :lol:
... the truth is they are all excellent cameras for 8x10, but will differ on handling and features. Are you ready?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:34 PM   #3

This camera list provides excellent choices. I have tested the Olympus C5050 and it is a great camera. This camera will perform very well in low light conditions because of it's excellent optics. The moveable lcd panel and assist lamp are pluses for this camera. I vote for the C5050.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 2:30 PM   #4

I'd choose the Nikon 5700 or the Olympus 5050, they are both great cameras. I have the 5700 and hopefully have answered your questions below :-) ...

1. the 5700 has the ability to take Continuous shots
- Continuous High: 3 shots in a row
- Continuous Low: 3 shots at 1.5FPS
- Multishot: 16 consecutive shots
- Ultra HS: Up to 100 consecutive shots
- "Best Shot" which takes up to 10 shots in a row and the camera decides which is the sharpest then deletes the rest.

2. I have a Canon S9000 and have printed shots I have taken (at 2560x1700) at 11x17 that rival any local photo lab.

3. The 5700 has a 8x Optical Zoom (280mm)

4. I have taken a more thn a few night shots (without the flash and Noise Reduction On) and the 5700 performs extremely well...play with the settings and night shots wont be an issue.

5. The 5700 has Full Auto, 3 User settings, and Manual operations.

6. I have no idea what the price of the 5700 is in the US...in Canada its about $1599.00
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 2:44 PM   #5

Just to add to gibsinpd3620 comments,
I have the C-5050 and you can take photos in an old style darkroom in complete black with AF iluminator and they look great.Talk about a fast lens! Also it comes with AA batteries and charger.
One of the things I like is the different media it uses.Smart Media,XD media,Compact Flash one or two,or Micro drive.Just buy whatever is on sale.You can switch between XD and Smartmedia slot to the Compact Flash slot with the push of a button.It has all the manual settings you would ever need.(I think?)Anyway I like mine.Had mine for 3 weeks and have taken about 400 photos.(Just can't stop)Only saved about 25.Gotta love digital.

Still Playing with it!
Good Luck.
Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:49 PM   #6

Depending on what you mean by "night shots", that is a difficult issue for all digicams. Noise (the digital "analogue" to grain in a chemical camera) increases with exposure time. That also limits the realistic ISO ratings that can be used with the camera - the max ISO seems to always be overstated, but not by the same amount for all cameras. Exposures of a few/several/many seconds seems to be the longest any but the most expensive cameras can do.

Getting to a short list and watching sales is a good way to go. There don't seem to be many real bad cameras out there so don't worry much.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 7:43 PM   #7

Default comment

Bill said is right, night shots can be a difficult issue and unless the object is has some night lighting it is impossible unless via infared.

Look at Dbuys,com for good prices. I bought my Nikon 5700 there
and got a great price.

there is software that can remove much of the noise, however and the price is reasonablke such as neat image.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 9:12 PM   #8
NHL

Well my vote goes for the D7's, the D7i in particular with a $200 saving over the D7hi if you can live with the silver color or don't shoot in RAW...

1. It's the only one out of the bunch that has a 28mm wide angle that let you capture more of a picture not less! (all others are 35mm) which you'll need in a small room or for landscape. Its long zoom is not bad either @ 200mm.

2. It has a manual zoom just like regular SLR (quiet for church ceremony), and you can manually overide the AF focus by just twisting the focusing ring without having to switch to manual focus first (Direct Manual Focus) unlike the other cameras!

3. For night shot the D7's has a What You See Is What You Get Mode mode in manual (WYSIWYG) where you can just dial-in with the shutter or aperture the brightness on the EVF to reflect the same image that will be capture to film(flash). ie no metering needed just like a mechanical SLR:
http://www.pbase.com/nhl/d7_nigh_shots

4. This camera also has electronic filters that you can dial in as well as a real-time histogram to let you fine tune through real glass filters like a polarizer (btw it features a regular filter mount as well so no adapter needed)

5. The D7's is also the only camera that supports TTL wireless external flash(es) ie multiple external units, and it's built-in flash can also be toned down to several levels to control external studio slaves...

So there you go... all excellent cameras! Good luck in your picking. I'll stick with cameras that support rechargeable AA NiMh as batteries since they are pecfect companion for the CF microdrive which is both speedy and cheapest in term of cost/MB.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:15 PM   #9

You all rock. Although I have got several different suggestions. It seems you all agree that all the camera's listed have great potential. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. I am leaning towards the s602, partially because of the price and it seems like a solid camera. Being that I am just starting out I am not sure if I want to lay down a grand for a camera just yet.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:18 PM   #10

Hey NHL,

The 7i seems very nice and if the only differences are what you listed I might be able to swing that. How fast is it at snappping pictures? Does it have a burst mode, say like shooting at an air show to capture I jet flying over?