Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:18 PM   #1

Default I need help understanding pixels and image size........

I could really use some help understanding what I want to do... I have never really understood this. I just bought the mavica cd250, I want to get prints made from the pictures that I take.. Mostly 4x6 size. But I also want to be able to e-mail my pics to people, and not have them be "HUGE" , meaning they take up the entire e-mail, and you still have to scroll to see the pic. I have my camera set to 640 right now, but am I right in assuming that the quality of the printed pic will not be good on that setting? If I set it to 1600x1200 for a good printed quality, then when I try to send it via e-mail it is just too big.. Do I have to resize each photo separately? If so, If I take all the pics under the higher pixel setting, then would I need to take it into photoshop each time (for e-mail) and resize, and how exactly do I do that?
I'm not the only one with this happening too, I get tons of e-mails where the pics are so big you lose track of what your'e looking at.
I know I have e-mail mode on my mavica, haven't tried that yet (new camera). But If I set to e-mail mode, then what happens when I want to print the pic? will I have good quality?
Ohhhhh, can you tell I'm confused, and I'm sure I make no sense. But hoping someone understands what I'm trying to say, and can offer some help.
Thanks so much,
Terri
Terrilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:37 PM   #2

Take your pics at the high quality mode settings. Edit some the photos with your editing software and save them as a different name. Then you the same software to resize the photos to 640X480 and save these for emailing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 4:38 PM   #3

Shoot at high quality all the time. This will yield the best possible reuslts for printing.

When you email, you need to resize. This can be done in several ways. the simple ,direct approach is to use a simple program to do a batch re-size of all the pics. Create an "email" directory for the pics, and put the smaller, re-sized ones there to keep them seperate from the files that actually came from the camera.

Many photo view/editing programs will have built in email functions that will re-size the pics for you when you send them. This is an option, but I personally prefer the first option I mentioned as it allows me to email pics any way I want with any email program I want to use.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:05 PM   #4

Jeff,
I like your idea of resizing all my photos at once, and then keeping them in a separate folder. What type of program would I need to do this? You said a "simple program", but what would be an example? I use outlook express for my mail, there isn't something built into that i'm sure?

Thanks for the help,
Terri
Terrilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilp
Jeff,
I like your idea of resizing all my photos at once, and then keeping them in a separate folder. What type of program would I need to do this? You said a "simple program", but what would be an example? I use outlook express for my mail, there isn't something built into that i'm sure?

Thanks for the help,
Terri
Get a copy of Irfanview.

http://www.irfanview.com/

It's simple, quick, and best of all, free.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:24 PM   #6

I believe ACDSee will resize batches of graphics as well....
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:30 PM   #7

When we release version 2.1 of Photo Finale next week, it will have an "E-Mail Photos" feature.

This sounds simplistic but I haven't seen any programs that do all of this with one feature.

- Automatic Resize (configurable to 1/4, 1/2 screen, etc.)

- Automatic JPeg Re-compression to make the attachments smaller but still look great for screen viewing

- Automatic Format conversion. Want to e-mail TIFF or RAW images from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, or Minolta? No problem.

- Works for people with web-based e-mail. Most e-mail photo software requires a program like Outlook, or worse yet requires you to know about SMTP servers. Our feature can either use Outlook, or can send everything without any e-mail program.

- Built in address book (only if you don't want to use an existing e-mail program).

- Of course, multiple photos can be sent at a time. A warning tells you if the total size is greater than 1MB, because some people can only receive this amount.

If we are leaving anything out I'm also open to suggestions.
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 7:21 PM   #8

Photo Finale sounds like a pretty good example of the second method I described in my first post. Its especially nice that it allows you to hook into an existing email app (like Outlook), or to allow Photo Finale to send it directly through an SMTP server.

I'm just an old school traditionalist, and prefer to do it all myslef.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 6:07 PM   #9

Default A suggestion....

I suggest you let the user be able to customize the attachment size warning level in your Photo Finale program. In addition to giving users the option to warn them if their emails reach the 1MB attachment level, an option for the user to specify the level he wants to be warned at. Some users can send up to 2.5MB with each email; others can send up to 5MB per email. AOL users can send up to 16MB with each email! It would be handy if the user could customize the warning level.
Doug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 6:15 PM   #10
lg

I use Digital Photo Slide Show.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote