Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:08 AM   #1

just ordered my S500, and now I need a SD memory card to go with it....

I am a complete newbie when it comes down to this stuff, but I do know that the memory card must have the following

1. 1GB of Memory

2. Must be super fast at reading and writing etc

Q. In terms of writting rate, what is acceptable and what is fast for a memory card e.g. how MB per sec?

Q. Does it matter what brand name that you get... because I have heard of cases of people pictures just dissapearing on cheaper cards?

Q. Is a (8 in 10 memory card reader necessary?

Please provide me with links on the best places to obtain a decent card

Thanks In advance
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:47 AM   #2

A quick question. Can you be more specific on the camera model? The only S500 I am aware of is a Canon digital elph and it uses a CF card, not an SD card. Is that the camera you bought or is it something else?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:19 AM   #3

In order to provide links it would help to know what part of the world you live in.

A card reader isn't necessary as you will be able to connect your camera to your computer. A card reader is usually faster.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:08 AM   #4

It would help to know what part of the world you're in like Nagasaki said. Regardless, I am a huge fan of Sandisk. I recommend the Ultra II series cards, they're great. Write speed of 9MB per second and a read speed of 10MB per second...plenty for your camera. If you're in the states, I recommend Newegg.com...they're wonderful. You can pick up the 1GB Ultra II SD card for $81.99, or if you don't think you'll need the faster card, you can get a regular 1GB SD card for $64.99. Good luck with everything!

Lexar is also a terrific company with a lot of different SD card options.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:16 PM   #5

sorry peeps... did tell you that I was a newbie:lol:

Anyway

1. When I say S500 I'm talking about tthe new Casio EX-S500

2. I live in the UK (England)
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:42 PM   #6

I like ATP

http://flash.atpinc.com/index.php

I don't know where you can get them in the UK.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:33 AM   #7

I doubt your camera would need or benefit from a very fast card. When it comes to read and write speeds the limitation isthe camera.

Having said that, I would suggest you go for a Sandisk Ultra II, at £61.99 inc vat &free delivery, it is onlya few poundsmore than the Sandisk 'standard' card at Amazon.co.uk. You would benefit from faster uploading to computer and the faster speed may help with the video function.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...966040-3339812

As SlapNTickleJr said, Lexar are also top quality. I have three Lexar pro CF cards, never had a problem. The slight downside, for you, would be the cost per Mb compared to Sandisk. A Lexar High Speed at 32x would cost £62.99 at Amazon, whereas the Sandisk is 66x for a quid less !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...966040-3339812

ATP is a new one on me and it appears that they are only sold in the UK in the 'mini' or reduced size versions which are compatible with mobile phones.

You shouldn't see a great deal of difference in performance and if you are not brand loyal, then you won't go wrong with the Sandisk Ultra II.

As for choosing a 'brand' orless popular, just a personal preference, I would go with a known brand everytime. You tend to get better quality, durability and less failures.

I'mnot saying all non brands are rubbish, just you know what you are getting with the usual suspects and, for just a few quid more, peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Stevekin.

EDIT : Alternatively, try the retailer you have ordered your camera from, they may be able to do you a deal. Or if you find the cheapest on line quote with a British based web site, Jessops tend to match those prices.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:00 AM   #8
wrb

Personally I like Transcend media. For Compact Flash you can get 45x and 80x speed an they're cheaper than Sandisk.

I use a company called Orcalogice and they have been very good. I just picked up an 80x 2GB CF card for £99 - very pleased with it.
wrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:19 PM   #9

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
ATP is a new one on me and it appears that they are only sold in the UK in the 'mini' or reduced size versions which are compatible with mobile phones.
One of the reasons I mention ATP is because I think they deserve a good look from photographers.

ATP is better known in the mobile phone world as you implied. They are real company that's been doing flash memory for quite a while. As it happens I do have a camera that can use fast memory and my ATP SD card has been fast and reliable.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:54 PM   #10

BruceMcL wrote:
Quote:
Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
One of the reasons I mention ATP is because I think they deserve a good look from photographers.

ATP is better known in the mobile phone world as you implied. They are real company that's been doing flash memory for quite a while. As it happens I do have a camera that can use fast memory and my ATP SD card has been fast and reliable.
One of the reasons I mentioned ATP was a new one on me and apparently not available in the UK in Digicam format is........because it is and they aren't. Not knocking them at all, I don't know them and I'm sure you are right about their quality, but I, nor anyone else should recommend something they haven't heard of.

Now I can say BruceMcl uses ATP cards and is very happy with their performance and price and recommends their use .

Don't forget Bruce, that many products, including different models of camera from the same manufacturer, are often only available either in the USA or Europe.

Which frustrates the sh*t out of me sometimes, what, with a lot of the better deals you seem to get over there .

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote