Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:19 AM   #1

i HAVE JUST BOUGHT A PANASONIC NVGS17 CAMERA. IT HAS A USB PORT
i WAS TOLD I NEEDED A FIREWIRE CONNECTION TO GET BEST RESULTS. I HAVE USED A USB CABLE FOR A WEEK OR SO AND I CAN TRANSFER TO MY PC BUT THE PICTURE IS A BIT JUMPY. DO I NEED A FIREWIRE OR JUST KEEP USING MY USB. I AM GETTING A BIT CONFUSED NOW.
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:35 AM   #2

Your panasonic is a videocamera. This is a digital still camera forum. But I will try to help anyway.

What do you mean by 'the picture is a bit jumpy'? Are you talking about dropped frames?

For video, I would definately use only firewire, USB is not nearly as reliable for transfering video. But there are also other factors. Your hard disk is a major source of potential problems. Ideally, you should have a separate dedicated hard disk for video capture. You will need to keep it defragmented and it should be as fast as possible. Also, make sure that you have no other programs running when you attempt video capture. This means shutting down all those programs that start automatically when you start your computer. And don't forget to turn off your screen saver. A program can suddenly start something and grab the operating system's attention, even if only for a fraction of a second, and that can lead to problems during video capture.

Video transfers at a data rate of 25 MB/sec, so your interface and hard disk must be able to sustain that data rate during the transfer. If it cannot, then you can get dropped frames, or worse. This may be what is happening to you.

Hope that helps. Also, don't use all caps when writing in forums. It is hard to read and is considered shouting when used in cyberspace.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 9:21 AM   #3

thanks for a very fast reply and sorry about the caps.
when i mean jumpy its like a bit slow and you can see its like digital if you know what i mean hard to explain.
but will get a firewire card etc
thanks
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:53 AM   #4

installed firewire now everything is dandy just trying to decide what is the best software to use.
thanks a lot.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5

I have just bought one of these camcorders and would like to use a usb but cant find any software can you help.
ronkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:51 PM   #6

i bought a firewire which was very cheap and got cable and ulead videostudio with it.