Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:31 PM   #1

Recently, I bought my first digital camera, the canon powershot a95 w/ 1gb CF card. I say its a great camera, well worth its value. Anyways, this morning, I went out to try the macro mode and experiment with it. I got some satisfying result, and some were just horrible due to focus problems. I used the LCD for viewing, and I used NO zooming. (i don't know if zooming has to do with it or not...) I was about 3-5 cm close the flower (my macro pic) and the camera couldn't really focus very well. So then I just stepped back and got a slight distant picture of the flower. I was wonderin, how those people take bugs or flowers with such brilliant detail and composition. I have no extra lenses attached to my a95 btw. I'm just using normal lense. Sorry if this might be a dumb question, but please I just got into photography, and I don't want to lose my passion for it. hehe.

This is the setting I used. (I customized it , with Aperture Prior. as my shooting mode)
Shooting Mode
Aperture-Priority AE
Photo Effect
Off
Tv (Shutter Speed)
1/1000
Av (Aperture Value)
Light Metering
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length
7.8mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Size
2592x1944
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Single AF
AF Range Mode
Macro
Color Space
sRGB
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting

I'll post the pic later.
Chiaroscurist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:40 AM   #2

Your biggest mistake was using F2.8. At F2.8 and say a C of C of .03 the DOF at true macro (1:1) is .34mm. At 1:2 it is 1.01mm

Had you used F22 the DOF would have been 1:1 2.64 mm and 1:2 7.92mm

geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:02 AM   #3

Normal AF: 45 cm (1.5 ft.) - infinity
Macro AF: 5 - 45 cm (2.0 in. - 1.5 ft.) (W)/25 - 45 cm (9.8 in. - 1.5 ft.) (T)
Manual focus: 5 cm (2.0 in.) - infinity (W)/25 cm (9.8 in.) - infinity (T)
An advanced TTL AiAF 9-point autofocus system permits the camera to automatically select the primary subject even when off-center. Focusing range is 1.5 ft. (45cm) to infinity in normal mode and macro coverage is 2 in. (5cm) to 1.5 ft. (45cm) in wide angle and 9.8 in. (25cm) to 1.5 ft. (45cm) in telephoto. In low light conditions the focus-assist lamp helps to illuminate the subject for accurate focusing.

The above is copied from Steve's review of your camera. If the front of your lens was too close to the object you were trying to focus on it won't be able to. Also, the 9 point auto focus may be getting fooled by something in the frame with more contrast, try spot or center focusing, your manual should tell you how to switch that. Next is you will want to use the smallest aperture your camera allows(largest F #) probably at least F8. This will probably require a slower shutter speed to get the proper exposure so you will need plenty of light and/or a tripod. Macro shots can be hand held but it needs to be fairly bright or you will need to use a flash. You say in your post that you were 3-5cm from the flower and looking at your cameras specs that may be too close. A posted picture would help to see what problem you are having.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 8:45 PM   #4

Here is the image, shot with 2.8 aperture, this one turned out okay, but still... I will post the rest becuz my stock batts ran out of battery...

http://img325.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00303vl.jpg

Chiaroscurist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:04 AM   #5

Please differentiate between MACCRO and CLOSE UP
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote