Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:35 AM   #1

okay, so i dont know anything about digital camera's right now, but I want to learn. I enjoy taking pictures of scenery, and automobiles. I'm hoping to get Photoshop so i can learn to blur backgrounds and such. I like the looks of bubble'y looking images. I dont wanna spend more then 800cdn for a camera. can you guys gimmie a list of camera's in the range, and that have adaptors for lenses. gotta be able to do 1024x768 image sizes.
GlennH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:20 AM   #2

That's a tall order, GlennH!
If you're really new to digital, you're going to need to hit some books....or web pages.....or magazine articles. Anything to get some background. There are good digital photography magazines around. Buy a few, or check out a library. The advertiser's section in the back is a good place to compare features of a wide range of cameras. For more info on models that really catch your eye, look them up in the review section of this site and take Google safaris. The more familiar you get with the stuff that's available, the easier it will be to narrow down your choices.
Ask yourself what you want from a camera and make note of those models that meet or exceed those criteria.
It ain't easy. Even after you make your purchase, you'll probably end up kicking yourself because two weeks later, the model you really wanted (but didn't get because it was $200.00 over your limit) will show up with a $200.00 rebate. Happens all the time.
When you get down to a three-way race, then you can get some realistic advice from people on forums like this one.
Like the old saying goes, it's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase. You've got some serious chasin' to do. Enjoy it!
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:33 AM   #3

If you want to save some money Photoshop Elements would be a lot less expensive than regular Photoshop and has quite a few features, enough for you to learn on for quite a while.

As far as cameras go pick a brand that interests you and check out the models and prices on their web site. Find one model that looks promising. Then check out the review and sample photos on steves-digicams or dcresource or another site. Sometimes in the review they will mentione other cameras that are similar. You can then check them out.

1024 x 768 will be a piece of cake for any camera. Adaptors for lenses might be harder to find and maybe not as necessary. Most cameras have lenses that can zoom in or pan out to get a variety of photos.

Another thing you can do is go to a camera store and heft a few of the cameras in your price range to see how they feel.

A good goal to start with is to see if you can come back in a week or two with another post that says, "I tried camera A and read about camera B and C and they all look good. Here's what I want to use them for, can anybody help me decide?"
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:13 AM   #4

I think you should start by looking at a camera of about 200cdn, then say about 500cdn. Look at some that look nice in the local store, and then read reviews. Soon you'll be able to tell what you want. Super zoom or not. High MP or not. There's no use in getting a 800cdn camera if a 200cdn camera will suit your needs just as well.

With me, I decide on an amount, read a bit, then for just so little more, I can get this as well. But if I spend just a little more, I can also get this and this and this. Thats why my advice is to start at the lower price ranges. Cheaper cameras also has less features. Reading about an expensive cameras features may be a bit overwhelming.

1024*768 = about 0.75MP, not enough for printing anything. Most people dont want to print any pictures when they start digital photography, but after a while you realise that its still nicer to have some special images on paper rather than just on the screen.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:53 AM   #5

well ill get back to you folks within some time once i learn the basics.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:48 PM   #6

after a days of reading ive came up with a few camera's. Is there anything I should know about. I dont plan to print photos. I take alot of car photo's in daylight and in buildings at carshows. Also i take numerous 4wheelin shots. Video will be good for that. hehe Ive heard kodak's compression of file sizing is smaller then the norm. This true? I know the canon is getting up in price at $699cdn where the Z740 is around $479cdn.

Kodak Z740

Kodak DX7590

Canon Powershot S2 IS
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:28 AM   #7

well I'm biased, I own a dx-7590 and simply LOVE IT...so its got my vote with a 10x zoom and all the features I want with a semi dslr and actually I will probably use this camera for a couple more years or when I out grow it but will NEVER get rid of it thats for sure......

Just my 2 cents worth
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:49 AM   #8

Yes. Kodak does seem to have more aggressive JPEG compression than other manufacturers.
I considered getting this camera a while back, but one of the things that I didn't like about it was the low number of resolution/compression options it gives in recording images. Plus, I decided that I wanted a camera that would let me shoot RAW format.
The Nikon that I ended up with, if anything, has too many image saving options, but it does shoot RAW.
If you haven't already, check out Steve's review of the DX7590. He thinks a good value, and, obviously, you've got wagaboo's endorsement. The other two cameras that you mentioned are probably reviewed here, too.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:40 PM   #9

GlennH wrote:
Quote:
... gotta be able to do 1024x768 image sizes.
Just about any digicam better than a BarbieCam will do that.

I'd suggest looking at a cheap pocket sized camera - or spend a bit more and get a pocket camera with some zoom which can be found for under US$250. By using it, you will learn a lot about photography and about digital processing. When you have figured that out, you will have a much better idea of what you want in a better camera, be ready to use it, and the prices will have dropped. No matter what camera you get, you arealmost certianto want a better one within a year so you might as well let your first one be cheap and count it as tuition.

And a small pocket sized camera is nice to have even if also have a much better camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:53 PM   #10

I go with BillDrew's idea.

Look at a pocketable 5mp or 6mp camera that has the ability to override the shutter, aperture, etc. (ie. manual controls).

If you have more dough, considera D-SLRlike the Nikon D-50 if you're into shooting cars zooming by. Nikons are known for great go-fast photos.

The Canon Rebel XT is another great camera. Maybe a little sedate for action photos but a great all-round performer.

Sometimes its better to stretch your budget a little and get something that you'll enjoy or many years to come.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote