Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Nikon or Olympus!!!

Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum; but I have read a few of the other entries about camer choices and what to choose.

I am a long time fan of the Nikon family and have used everything from the 4004s to the N90s for my 35mm work. The problem now is that I want to get into the digital world of serious picture taking and have no idea which camera to choose. I started out with a 1mp HP camera that was a gift and is great for my wife who just points and shoots.

Now, I am looking for a 5mp camera and have thought about the Nikon 5700 or the Olympus C5050. Not sure which to choose and would like to be able to add on to the camera in the future. Ie: teleconverter etc. My friend has the Nikon 5000 and we took some shots at the hockey game the other night and the pix's were not that close for the opposite end of the ice. Want something that has a bigger zoom than that.

This camera will also be used by my wife who does not care to get into all of the extra manual controls.

Thank you in advance! :shock:
Mr.snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:29 AM   #2
lg

Default Re: Nikon or Olympus!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.snoman
Want something that has a bigger zoom than that.

This camera will also be used by my wife who does not care to get into all of the extra manual controls.
I can't help with advice on the 5 MP, but if you need a nice camera with a long zoom, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Olympus C-2100. It's out of production, but it is a 2MP camera that has a 10x stabilized zoom with all the bells and whistles you are looking for. It's easy enough to use that both my 10 year old daughter and wife have no problems using it. A refurbished or used model can be found on eBay for around $400. I bought a refurbished unit for $360 a few months back, and it works as good as the one I bought new a year ago for $500.

Panasonic has come out with the best replacement for this camera, the DMC-FV1, which is a 2MP 12x stabilized zoom camera. You might want to check it out, too.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:51 AM   #3

Mr.snoman

Lg has recommended a solid camera in the c2100. There is a couple listed on ebay. The c5050 has great optics for low light shooting. You can also add a telephoto lens to the camera via an adapter tube. I have the c4040 with a Raynox Pro1850 tele photo lens attached. You can view some sample pics at

www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620 click on the telephoto shots album.

The c5050 has a moveable lcd panel which will come in handy with the telephoto lens. You can not shoot through the view finder with telephoto lens attached. You frame the shot with the lcd panel.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:28 AM   #4

Default comment

I love the photos ofd the Nikon 5700 and if the reach wasnt that good, you can add the Nikon 1.5 times extender. Other manufacturers make them at 2X as well. So reconsider this
great camera.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 9:34 AM   #5

I have a CP5000 and the short zoom does pose problems for long shots. A friend brought the CP5700 and the zoom shots are fantastic! I would recommend the CP5700 over the C5050 because of the zoom difference. I've used a tele-converter on my CP5000, but you can't really tell what you're getting. This will be true of most range finder cameras when using add on lenses. Day in and day out you will probably use the CP5700 without an extender, but you would need one for the C5050 if you normally shoot 200mm photos.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 12:14 PM   #6

The problem with the long zoom consumer digital cameras is image stablization. You will either need a very steady hand or tripod for the longs zoom to have good pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 6:22 PM   #7

Has anyone considered the Sony DSC-717? It has a 5X optical zoom 190mm telephoto, very fast AF and the best battery?
It got great reviews both by Steve and DPReview, but there doesn't seem to be much talk about it anywhere. Not even in the Sony forum.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:04 PM   #8

Mr.snowman:

I own the Nikon 5700. It is a great camera but has its limitations on indoor sports photography. I have tryed using the zoom at my daughters basketball game and had a hard time focusing with the zoom because of the low light levels indoors. Even at settings of asa 400 and 800, also using manual focus, it was very difficult. I was shooting manually. On the auto mode it would have even been more difficult. I wonder if this could be a problem with alot of digital cameras with zoom lenses. Outdoors with good light the camera is great for all types of action. Hope this helps. Glenn
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:35 AM   #9

Thank You all for your thoughts. I have just purchased a Olympus C-5050Z and love it. I also took the advice of a couple of people from the forums and bought from buydig.com; great place!

Thank you again!
Mr.snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:55 PM   #10

in terms of indoor tele shooting: i found i get better photos with a faster short zoom (oly 5050) and then cropping the image, rather than use a longer, slower zoom (adding a 2X converter). The initial sharpness of the faster shutterspeed outweighs the movement of the longer zoom exposure.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote