Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:14 AM   #1

I have been reading posts for a couple of weeks and I've decided to buy a 350d. How ever the issue of lenses are another issue. I have decided not to get a kit and use the extra $100 towards a better lens, I thought of getting a sigma 18-55 2.8 or a sigma 24-70 2.8 any thoughts on which one would be better?I'am also thinking of getting a canon 50 1.8 for some macro, I don't do much of that, but the lens is cheap enough. I mainly shoot landscapes on vacation, my kids doing activities indoors and outdoors and once in a while a portrait. I know that 18-55 isn't enough zoom for all of my kids activities so I'am also considering a sigma 70-300/4-.5.6 apo macro super II or a canon 75-300/4.5-5.6 usm III any thoughts on mylearns selection? I would like lens that give's good pic's for the money.

Thank's any help would be appreciated
pudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:08 PM   #2

If you are interested in landscapes, get the lens that offers the widest angle. An 18 mm put on a DSLR is going to be barely acceptable for many photo ops in landscapes. The one with 24 mm is out of the question for your purposes. Those long lenses that you mentioned are OK at F8 or F11, but will not be super at wide open. On the other hand, maybe you don't need the super lens on the upper focal lengths. Don't forget to invest in a tripod and a circular polarizer. Mediocre lenses and great technique will beat wonderful lenses used with poor technique.
Tom Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:28 PM   #3

Thank you for the input. I don't know, if I could afford a lens wider than 18mm at the moment. I do know, that I will have a lot of work to do on technique and learning the camera. However, I don't know "Whatis a circular polarizer?"
pudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:54 AM   #4

A polarizer is a filter that removes glare from most things, thus deepening colors and making clouds stand out on against a blue sky. The old (and new) linear polarizers will not allow your camera's autofocus to work, thus you need a circular one. This does not refer to shape, but to the arrangement of lines in the filter. When screwed onto the front of your lens, it is adjustable for how much polarization you want. You decide by looking through the viewfinder and seeing the effect. You get an effect that is dependent on the angle of the sun. It will cost you about two F stops of light. This is another reason to use a tripod.
Tom Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:21 AM   #5

The 50mm 1.8 is not that good for macro - it doesn't focus close enough. The kit lens is ok for macro considering it's price. It will focus from a little bit closer and has a little more magnification at 55mm. The 50mm 1.8 is well worth getting for its' low light ability and quality/price ratio though.
The kit lens is also the ONLY cheap option for wide angle and so you will want it for landscapes unless you're buying a better and more expensive wide lens.
If I were to buy my camera over I would get the 17-85 IS kit. THe extra money is worth it.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote