Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:53 AM   #1

Hi,

I have a FujiFilm Finepix S602 Zoom. I have posted a couple of my photos in the landscapes section.

After browsing so many wonderful pictures with really impressive detail it has left me asking should I bother? I really love taking photos and are enjoying the challenge of learning a huge amount of different things - however is the camera that I have up to the job? I feel that some of my best (or at least favourite) pictures just don't even come close to what some people on here say are their worst! Is it the camera or the operator? I think if somebody can tell me if I am on the right track then maybe that will help.

I hope that somebody will be able to help me and not be too rude to me!

Thanks in advance,

Dom

EDIT: thought it would be nice to add a link to my lame photos if anybody wants to take a look...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:11 AM   #2

Just keep trying. If it's something you enjoy, even if every picture is completely horrible (and I'm sure they're not) it's still fun for you and that's what really matters.

As to the question of the camera, 98% of the time the camera and lens have much less to do with a picture's perceived beauty or interest. It usually comes down to an interesting subject, good lighting and good composition, all of which are dependent on the person taking the picture.

For most people, photography takes a lot of time for them to become really good. Sure, there are some who just seem to magically meld with the camera the very first day they ever used one and almost always seem to have absolutely gorgeous shots, but the vast majority of photographers (even highly paid pros) took a long time to become that good. We don't expect a doctor to be number one in their field the day they graduate medical school or an athlete to win the olympics the first time they ever played their sport. Regardless of what you're doing, it takes practice. If you think your pictures are good, analyze them and figure out why they aren't good. Is it exposure problems? Is the subject just boring? Are their distractions in the shot that take away from the main subject? Is it in focus? Is the subject of interest always in the middle of the shot(it usually shouldn't be)? Etc, etc, etc...Once you figure out why you think your pictures aren't very good, make a conscious effort on the next shoot to think about the lighting and the composition and how it would look framed on a wall...would you want to look at it in your house?

I just looked at those links. The first image of the foggy trees. It just doesn't hold my interest, for me it simply suffers from being aboring subject and maybe a bit underexposed, as well. I really like the first picture in the second link, the one with the cliff face. I Think if you cropped out the telephone poll, it would be quite nice.

Here's an edit of the shot I liked. I simply cropped it down a little and increased teh contrast.

Attached Images

G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the input. Am with you on the doctor and athlete thing however an athlete running with sandals on is not quite the same as a professional with decent footwear... thats why I wondered about the camera. I like what you did to my photo. I took that last year while in Germany - didn't really think about doing anything to it after removing it from my camera. I suppose I thought "Thats what I saw so thats what I show people" but you have got me thinking now.....

Thanks - really appreciate it.

Dom
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:22 AM   #4

Although I like the foreground rock, I think maybe I like it cropped even tighter.
Attached Images

G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:21 AM   #5

It's always fun to get a new camera! But as others have said, you can learn a lot by trying to get the most from your current camera.
I lightened up your image by changing the color profile and did a little cropping and sharpening.

BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:12 AM   #6

@DomCotton

well - I think it's a mixture of both. You can get pictures as good as your cam can take and I think you have a fair chance with the S602. Don't expect things your digicam won't ever do for you and judge your pictures from that point of view.

Don't forget the "classic" photography. Things like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, DOF and stuff apply for you too. Try to learn these things (read, try for yourself and so on) and you will be able to choose well on settings in a special moment. That will help a lot!

Enjoy the good things in digital photography. For me this is the huge amount of images I can take and then pick the best. Don't cry at the worst or shed a tear for the 95% you delete probably after a session - just learn from it. But be proud of the leftover pics as this was the best you could do at that special moment. Lot's of people here have great experience over several years with photography in general and in a special area like landscapes and I feel the same as you sometimes when I look at that beautiful pics. But they had to practise and to learn too - ask them how many photos they wasted or just didn't got right. Don't let that spoil the fun for you. Take your cam, shoot away and you will see that this is one key.

Why? What I am referring to is the "photographers eye". A feeling how to take a photo so it will look great or ring a bell at the one watching it. Even if your photos aren't sharp etc. - if you captureda great moment it will be a great picture.

Combine that technical stuff and the sensual aspect and try, try, try... you will get better, believe me!

Don't hurry when taking photos.

Example. Take your cam and go outside on a street (watch cars!). Position yourself as if you would drive and watch the street straight on. Take a shot at the street from eye-level and then bend down and take a shot from knee level or below. Now take a small object and put it on the street and take a pic at it from eye-level (be sure to include the street!) and from knee-level or below (include the street!).

Now watch the pics. Which one illustrates the LOOOOONG road better? Which one shows the danger of being at such a BIG street better for the small object?

With little efford you can change so much. Now play with aperture and zoom and produce even more interesting pictures!

Your pictures in the mountains... I would have tried to get a view of the cables of the cable car all the way down, similar to the street pic from knee level to show how loooooong they are and how very deeeep it is.

I think you got the idea.

Have fun and keep us updated with some nice pics!

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:25 AM   #7

You are wasting your time... if you are not enjoying yourself and are not willing to learn. I'm with G35 on the learning aspects. A big part of photography is taking the time to analyze - your shots, other people's shots. Take a look at one of your good shots. Why do you like it? Can you do it again? Can you incorporate that kind of element in another shot. Now, take another look at the same shot. Is there something that doesn't quite work? Something you know you can change? Do the same with shots that did not work. What didn't work? Can you fix it? Did anything work? Good. Fix the bad and emphasize the good.

Do you need a better camera? Everybody wants a better camera. Everybody thinks they need a better camera. I went on a photo shoot the other day thinking I was way under-equipped with my Kodak Zoom digicam. Theguy who organized the shoot had an old Polaroid camera converted to a pinhole. It's not so much the equipment as the willingness to see that will make you a photographer.

Sorry to ramble here.

Have fun.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:43 AM   #8

Thanks to everybody for your comments.

What I have been doing is going over all of my photos that I took from recent trips - I have been to Germany, Costa Rica, San Francisco and a couple of other less glamarous places....... I have started to look at the photos that I have and am trying to pull out my favourites. Also at the same time I am looking at them thinking "if only that guy wasn't there....!?" or "If I could have just got a little higher.....". I suppose I am starting to criticise what I once thought were fantastic shots.

However saying that I have enjoyed taking all of the photos that I have and hope that some of you professionals like some of them too.

Tom - thanks, i think? I am really enjoying what I have explained above. My shot of the rock from Germany that you commented on I really liked. It seems very clear - a lot like some of the other really cool pictures in the gallery. I am proud of that one and remember when I took it thinking it would be pretty cool.

Once again thanks, and I will be posting some more pictures up here if I fel brave enough.

Dom
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:16 AM   #9

DomCotton wrote:
Quote:
I have started to look at the photos that I have and am trying to pull out my favourites. Also at the same time I am looking at them thinking "if only that guy wasn't there....!?" or "If I could have just got a little higher.....".
Now you know for next time.

I took over 600 photo's last weekend. I had about 5 - 10 different ones that I did not discard the moment I layed eyes on them. I had one that I thought was good enough to post on the critiques forum. And now I found out what was wrong with it, and how to make it better next time.

I sometimes wonder if I'm wasting my time as well, but only the future will tell. Its no use giving up so early in the race.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:20 AM   #10

I definately wont quit because i love to take pictures.... but at the same time I won't be quitting the day job!!! :-)