Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 19, 2003, 5:50 PM   #1

Default Anyone heard of Packard Bell's DSC-3? Info needed!

I bought my mother a discontinued Packard Bell DSC-3 1.3megapixel camera and a 64 megabyte Smart card. It's not bad - it's very compact, lightweight, has a flash, plays back via TV or USB to PC. No LCD panel, but they tend to eat batteries alive, and I keep the one on my Fuji switched off. Trouble is... the instruction "manual" is a single sheet of paper, and we have yet to take even ONE picture that was in focus. Has anyone experience of this camera? Is it (as I suspect!) really made by a third party and is re-badged as Packard Bell? If so, who made it? Maybe I can get hold of a different manual? Has anyone managed to take an in-focus picture with this camera?! Any help greatly appreciated. Packard Bell's website is about as useful as a chocolate coffee-pot.
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 6:37 PM   #2

Try this, Model DS6868. Only uses 2 batts. Try using 1800 or 2000maH niMH re-chargeable batteries. Cam probably poor sensitivity, so needs plenty of light to autofocus. Flash range is only 2m max!

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ser...ons/ds6868.pdf
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 1:22 PM   #3

Thanks.... But an off-the-wall idea came to me during the night: it's a focus problem, and the camera has two (clearly marked) focus settings: landscape/"scenic" and closeup. Symbols for the two are a mountain and a tulip. I wondered "What if the symbols have got printed on the camera the wrong way around?" So... I tried taking sample pictures of subjects that are a few feet away with the "Scenic" setting. Guess what: I guessed right! Not bad quality pix. Nonetheless... thanks for your help.

Ron
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote