Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:54 PM   #1

Hi,

I've been coming to this site off an on for about 3 years now, when I bought my first digicam, the Canon S40. I used the reviews and forums to make my decision. To the owner and operator, your site is awesome...thanks!

When I bought the S40, I needed it for my first daughter's immenant arrival...since then, I've had a son and watched him grow to a year now, and in the meantime I've managed to partialy break my S40 and convince my wife we needed a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, which I just bought 2 days ago <evil laugh>.

So far, Ive managed to figure out the basics of operation, and truly blew my own socks off with one close up of my son that just took my breath away...simple shot, with only 4 minutes invested in the manual, nothing special really, but the way the off-center compostiion with him in full focus in the foreground and the background blurred...man, it made him look 3D...its beautiful, even though its just a snapshot...looking at that one shot made me see his face in a new way...really a motivating experience.

Anyway, I've managed to take a few good shots here and there over the years, but this was mostly luck...and its the composition that was good, not the technical shot...focus and filter and light...becuase I know diddley squat about these topics...I have an inkling for what an f-stop is (it's a classic F-Troop episode, right?) but when you start talking about f-stop, appeture, exposure, white balance, Tv, Ae I get rapidly thrown to the bottom of the cave.

The regualrs here obviously know there stuff...can you please post links to online resources to help a newbie learn basic-to-intermediat photography skills? I'll never go to film, so a digital bent is fine, probably preferred.

Thanks for your help...looking forward to being a regular here.
AConant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:28 PM   #2

Hello!
I'm new to dslr to but here is two sites that you might find helpful! :-)

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

hope I could help you!
Good luck!
Benzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:22 PM   #3

Check out the "Weekly Challenge" section towards the bottom of this forum. There are books and links recommended for just this purpose by experienced photographers.
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:49 AM   #4

Thank you!
AConant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 5:14 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Another useful site.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:58 AM   #6

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum so go easy! What a relief to see that somebody else is new to the world of DSLR (hello Aconant!) Im about to pick up my first SLR camera next tuesday, a Nikon D50 and like AConant would like to start learning some of the technical stuff.

Could anyone point me in the direction of websites that provides tips/explain the functioning of my D50 and how to use it properly, as I notice the links that have been provided seem to be canon specific.

Many thanks!
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:14 AM   #7

I spent ages writing this...hope it helps :?

http://www.all-things-photography.com/digital-slr.html

Cheers,

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:40 AM   #8

many thanks for the post freefly, your article looks really usefull!!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:26 PM   #9

There are some good resources on the web, several mentioned above. Worth reading.

Then there is the really boring thing called a manual. Read it. Twidle with knobs, levers, settings, ... Then read the manual to figure out how you got it into THAT setting. Take some outdoor shots of your boring back wall with different settings and read the manual to figure out what those settings refer to. That snaggle of cable a the back of your computer is fair model for indoor testing.

Oh, and did I mention that you should read the manual? Over and over again until you know what every adjustment on your camera does. It is a real drag to have to figure that out while trying to get a back lit shot of the Loc Ness monster.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:56 AM   #10

Thanks for all that great advice BillDrew, but if you read my post properly you would have noticed that as of yet I dont actually own my new digi camera, so with regard to reading the manual :?

What I am trying to do is get a good understanding as possible. Ideally I would like to find turtorials specifically for the Nikon D50 but this has been proving difficult I assume because it is a relatively new product.

Rest assured BillDrew, when I do get the camera I will be reading the manual :blah: