Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:59 PM   #1

I just bought a Pentax Optio S50..The software it came with will not install on my XP

machine..says i need Windows Media 7.1 and i have 10..I already have Photo Studio

2000..do i need Acdsee....Also will xp automatically download the proper Pentax driver for this camera so i can use it as a so called hard drive..I'm really very new at this and not that great with computers..can you help me..Colin
ColinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:02 PM   #2

Go to MicroSoft's web site and get the updates for your system. Assuming you are using Internet Explorer, click on "tools" up a the top, then pick "Windows Update". If you haven't done this before, be prepared of a long download - likely more than 10M. Take everything they recomend - though you can probably skip the Icelandic language updates and such like.

Not a bad idea to check for updates every couple of weeks or so.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:34 PM   #3

Everything is uptodate with the updates..what i need to know is will XP recognise my camera or will i need to download a driver..found out the software is for win98..

Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:13 PM   #4

Try to download some images straight into XP. I don't use it myself, but I've heard that XP has expanded image support capabilities over previous OS's for output from cameras. The worst that can happen is that XP tells you that it can't open the images for whatever reason. Then worry about hunting up a driver.
Good luck!
Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:47 PM   #5

Thanks Grant i'll give that a try..
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:14 PM   #6

The S50 will show as a drive on your computer and you can download directly from the drive letter. If you have plugged the camera into the computer it has already been detected and installed. Some cameras have to be turned on to be detected. A wizard will likely appear that you can use if you want help from the operating system downloading the images. I don't use it but some people like it.

ACDSee isn't necessary at all, but you should be able to install it on XP. If you have all of the updates and it isn't installing I would call Pentax support.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 6:41 PM   #7

Thanks guys..XP recognised my turned on camera as a drive and i downloaded the

pictures..Another question..once i put the SD memory into the camera will it disconnect the onboard memory..can't seem to find any info relating to that..

also the manual doesn't tell me how to connect it to the computer just a pict bridge..

thanks again for your help..