Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:55 PM   #1

Default Can't get a good auto-focus using optical zoom

Hello:

I started using digital cameras in January of this year (2002). My first one was the Olympus C-100, a great 1.3 megapixel camera, but had no optical zoom.

I then sold it after getting a good deal on the Olympus C-150 that had optical zoom.

That's when the problems started. I noticed that I couldn't get good auto-focus when zooming (optically) on subjects. Macro worked great, but zooming was a different story. I got so frustrated that I returned it.

I then got the Fuji FinePix 2600. Again, trouble focusing while zooming plus the flash was too bright. Returned to Sears the next day.

Now I have the Olympus D-520 and still have problems focusing while zooming.

Can anyone give me any tips? I've only tried experimenting with White Balance and Exposure, but that doesn't let me get an "approved" auto-focus while using the optical zoom.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2002, 12:08 PM   #2

Default focus

Hi, Have you tried to change your shutter speed. The problem my be that. I never used the cameras you have. I do own the olympus c-3020/c-3100. If the shutter speed get in to the 1/50s the (with moving obects) Picture suffers. does the camera you are using have spot focus. See most cameras (I think) use contrast to focus. If you spot focus is narrows the focus to the center of the picture. Warning.... The last thing is good for close up but not wide angles.
last thing I can think of is take a obect and place it about 4feet away for you lens and manual focus. take the picture then go to the software and get the setting of the camera. then set the setting on to the camera. Shot and see if they are the same( in auto). Does your camera have the focus light on it (a little green light that says the picture is in focus)you my have to press the button half way down twice( once to get the right depth and next to focus). An use a bright flash light in dark shot. I mount a flash light to a stand right below my camera then turn it on, press the focus button half way down, get a good focus and then turn off the flash light and take the picture. You can get great night shot that way. Please explain your problem more.
Dayshots or night, fast or slow moving targets. Your settings with the mircos and with the the blurry pictures. I'm not a expert, But I will try.
TheDarkfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2002, 1:03 PM   #3

Couple of quick things, check manuel for max range of Auto Focas and flash. Also remember when shooting in low light zooming will decrease the avialable light for the camera as it only gets it light from the reduced area that you are now shooting.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2002, 4:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. Like you said, DarkFinder, my camera has a light that remains steady when the picture is in focus. The thing is that the light blinks indicating a good picture is not possible. I'm looking for a steady green light.

I'm not sure if I can adjust the shutter speed on this camera, but I will re-read the manual just in case.

Gary, I'll also check the manual for auto-focus max. range.

I'll write back with the results. Thanks again.

[Edited on 6-30-2002 by Aubrey]
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:06 PM   #5

Well, the reference manual leaves me in the dark, as it doesn't have the specs on the AF range.

I just e-mailed Olympus. Let's see what they say.

If not, I'll just downgrade to a focus-free camera. Makes no sense paying an extra $100 for an optical zoom that I'm unable to use.

Aubrey
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:21 PM   #6

Aubrey,
just got this from Olympus site.

Focusing System Autofocus TTL system
Focusing Ranges Standard mode: 20" (0.5 m) infinity, Macro mode: 7.9" (.2 m) 20" (0.5 m)
Exposure Control Programmed auto exposure
Metering System Digital ESP multi-pattern, Spot
White Balance System iESP multi-pattern auto TTL
Pre-set manual (Daylight, Overcast, Tungsten, Fluorescent)
Flash Built-in flash
Flash Modes Auto for low light and backlight
Red-Eye Reduction
Fill-In (forced on)
Night Scene
Red-Eye Reduction Night Scene
Forced Off

Flash Working Range Wide: 7.9" 11.5' (0.2 m 3.5 m) @ ISO 160
Tele: 7.9" 8.5' (0.2 m 2.6 m) @ ISO 160
Flash Charging Time Approx. 7 seconds
Old Jul 1, 2002, 12:36 AM   #7

Aubrey,
Doing some more research, Olympus does not have the 520 manual for download but looked at the 510. chapter 5 (advanced shooting) covers problems with Auto focus. Also has a setting like the old 35mm for infinity. Looked in my 3040 manual and also gives some good pointers on what the AF needs to lock in on for a good focus. chapter 3 is all on just focus. View these and think will solve your problems. They were in PDF so could not copy and paste them to this.
Good luck and dont give up, Olympus makes a good cam,
Gary
Old Jul 1, 2002, 10:40 AM   #8

Default Thanks

Hey, thanks a lot Gary. I'll check into those, as the reference manual in the CD-ROM doesn't help much.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 12:48 PM   #9

Gary:

I downloaded the D-510 manual and went through the focus sections. Looks promising. Can't wait to try it when I get home.

Your C-3040 looks like an awesome camera, but the website only provides the quick start guide on PDF. The Instruction Manual, you have to pay for.