Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 22, 2003, 9:06 PM   #1

Default Help! First Camera

Hi, I am looking to buy a digital camera for around $135. I am going to use it for web site pictures and i am looking for something nice, yet not too expensive. Thanks.
Mattson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:48 PM   #2

I'd reccommend the Olympus D150. It is 1.3MP which should do what you want, and has a 3X optical zoom. It's $124.90 here: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/discount...rid113meg.html
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:28 PM   #3

Here is the Oly D150 for sell at Olympus refurb site for $125.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...asp?sku=225275
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 6:00 PM   #4

Default comments

I think you should save your money until you can afford a 2 /3 megapixel camera.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 7:16 PM   #5

Default Re: comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ghiringhelli
I think you should save your money until you can afford a 2 /3 megapixel camera.
I used a 640x480 digicam for several years and would have continued using it for at least a year more if I had been able to up the memory from 2Mbyte, so I don't agree with Jim. Jump in, learn, and save up for your next toy. You can always give the low resolution camera to your little sister later.

Do make sure that the camera you get can use one of the standard kinds of memory - doesn't really matter what kind of memory so long as it is cheap. Some of the really cheap cameras have a very limited amount of built-in memory - avoid those.

A good place to shop for that kind of camera is your local business supply outfit - Office Max, Office Depot, ... From the adverts that fall out of the sunday paper, they seem to have a fair variety of cheap digicams.

Do think a bit about what you want to do with it - at your price you are going to be seriously limited, but issues like white balance settings if you are going to shoot anywhere but outdoors should be thought about. You aren't likely to get an optical zoom lens at that price, but you should still ignore digital zoom.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 11:33 PM   #6

Good advice Bill. I agree that starting with an inexpensive camera is a great way to start. Many people get caught up in the Megapixel hoopla and forget that some just want the basics to start.

$135 will buy a nice little camera. I would go for a refurbed camera with a few more features (like optical zoom) than what Office Max or anyone has new for that price. A 1.3 MP with 3X optical zoom would be more practical than a 2 MP with no zoom.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:53 AM   #7

A 1.3mp camera will provide you with good pics. It is the great place to start. Good advice Bill
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote