Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:04 AM   #1

Default a few questions

I have been looking at a Fuji S602 Zoom. It says it has 6 megapixels but after reading closer and reading some reviews it looks like it has 3. Can someone tell me what it has?
I found it at royalcamera.com for $454. But after reading the post about ordering online and hearing from others it is alittle scarey ordering online from some dealers. I found it from a store in town here for $649 on sale with a 64 add on card. But I did want more than a 3 megapixel camera.
Any suggestions on this camera or another similar? Also which places are reputable to order online?
Thanks so much!
smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:18 AM   #2

it is a three megapixal camera but you can shoot in (6megapixels) wich is interpolated wich means the camera ads pixels to the image but it is still only a 3 mega pixel camera check out the fuji forum on this website to see what users think of the camera i looked at it for my self and was comparing that to a olympus c-4000 wich is cheaper and 4 megapixels i almost bought the fuji but after holding it, it felt to big
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:34 AM   #3

Matt is correct, the S602 is a 3mp camera. Fuji uses the marketing ploy to list the camera at 6mp. The S602 is an excellent camera. Royal Camera has terrible ratings at several rating sites. Check prices and vendor ratings at

www.dealtime.com
www.resellerratings.com (for ratings only)
www.pricescan.com

Buying on line can save money but you need to research the sellers rep before dealing with them. Vendors that I have used are:

www.buydig.com
www.17photo.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:29 AM   #4

Interpolation or up-sampling is never a substitute for real pixels.

The 6mp setting (I'm led to believe) results in pictures roughly equivalent to 4mp images.

This is a very good camera nonetheless
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:16 AM   #5

I have been doing some reading on the reviews for the Fuji S602. It says if you want to get a higher pixel picture ( using the upsampling) the picture will have alot of noise etc. I do want to use this camera to blow up some paintings and was hoping they would turn out good. Is there a way to have them turn out better even when you use the higher pixels? I was going to order it today.
Thanks for all your help.
Sherri
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:48 AM   #6

Sherri

Noise definition from Steve's digicam dictionary link:

"Noise - Pixels in your digital image that were misinterpreted. Usually occurs when you shoot a long exposure (beyond 1/2-second) or when you use the higher ISO values from 400 or above. It appears as random groups of red, green or blue pixels. "

I am not sure that is what you want to happen when you doing art photography. A 3mp camera should produce a raw or tiff file that can be viewed at larger sizes. Shooting in the tiff mode will provide you with uncompressed photos that can be enlarged.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 12:34 PM   #7

The best up-sampling program is Genuine Fractals. It's a plug-in for Photoshop - it's claimed to be lossless.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:27 AM   #8

Default I bought the camera!

I ordered it Sun night and it came Wed afternoon. It looks alittle complicated but we will have fun learning.
Thanks to all fo their comments.
Sherri
Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:42 AM   #9

I'm not so sure now on the 'upsampling'. There were a number of posts on dpreview suggesting 6Mpix was derived by actually adding information from the ccd's pixel matrix, and all options started life as (contrived) equivalent 6Mpix RAW data, with a further suggestion that 3Mpix down to 1Mpix was an electronic 'downsample' for lower noise. There is no RAW or uncompressed 3Mpix mode - only a 6Mpix option.

I've always been curious that 3Mpix edge detail does not look like clean raw pixel data - and I don't think it's JPEG masking, but I haven't shot test pics at the various sharpen levels yet.

I bought my 602 for its flexible sensitivity options, features and price. Whatever its 3/6Mpix means, it produces very good prints and is nice to handle.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 7:38 AM   #10

Default difference between 6 x to 10 x zoom?

I got my camera but havent had the time to really do much until next week.
I wonder if I should have gotten a higher zoom. I am just a beginner and am learning much. Just wondering if there is a big difference?
Sherri