Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 4, 2005, 2:02 AM   #1

Recently I started to take pictures using only RAW , and afterwards using Canon Digital photo Pro raw editor. I found that I do most of the job with it (level adjustment, contrast , saturation, hue, trimming) even before I go to Photoshop, actually no job for the photoshop 7.0is left.

One issue though bothering me.: is the JPEG conversion by this program of the same quality as JPEG converter inside the camera? (software vs. hardware). In this program there is 10 steps of quality of JPEG compression, in Photoshop it's 12!

Does it matter?

Is there any other better/highly recommended RAW editors?

Is in worth to upgrade to Photoshop CS2 only because of RAW support?

Regards. Driliagor

driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:35 AM   #2

driliagor wrote:
Quote:
Recently I started to take pictures using only RAW , and afterwards using Canon Digital photo Pro raw editor. I found that I do most of the job with it (level adjustment, contrast , saturation, hue, trimming) even before I go to Photoshop, actually no job for the photoshop 7.0is left.

One issue though bothering me.: is the JPEG conversion by this program of the same quality as JPEG converter inside the camera? (software vs. hardware). In this program there is 10 steps of quality of JPEG compression, in Photoshop it's 12!

Is there any other better/highly recommended RAW editors?

Is in worth to upgrade to Photoshop CS2 only because of RAW support?
I'll leave the question of CS2 to others, but I would strongly suggest you try out the free options before plunking down your money. One is RawShooter Essentials, currently available free in a beta version. I personally like the workflow and speed, but its colors are usually just wrong for Olympus RAW (ORF) files. They may work better with your Canon.
A second one is Silkypix 2.0. This version came out just September 2, and it has a lot of important additions over the earlier 1.0 version. It's also available in a free trial version (full featured, 1 month I think), while registering it costs 6200 yen (about $45 dollars) for the upgrade from version 1.0, or 16,200 yen (about $145 US) for first-time users. Check whether your camera is listed on the Silkypix supported cameras page.
The speed of Silkypix approaches that of RSE, and its color handling is excellent, not to mention all the other tools it includes, such as NR engine, perspective correction tool, cropping, fine color corrector (joy to use), highlight corrector, programmable keyboard, and more.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:23 AM   #3

If you are happy with the capabilities fo Digital Photo Professional it is quite a good utility.
Almost any external conversion program will be better than an automated in-camera conversion. For that simple reason that it is automated, the camera is making a guess on what parms to apply to the converted image, and it applies the same parms to all images, even though each image can be unique.
DPP can also be set to output 16bit/channel files retaining all the image data, a conversion to jpg is 8bit/channel only.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37 :-)
Now we've linked the posts into a loop. :blah:

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:07 AM   #4

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Now we've linked the posts into a loop. :blah:
The forum software is internally hemorrhaging. :?

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote