Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 30, 2003, 7:41 AM   #11

CompactFlash can have vendor specific characteristics and spec. Smartmedia as far as I know is far more generic in its performance and really price and possibly warranty are the only things I would consider (sometimes whether you get a box or not!).

To add to the advice already given, I would say what is my cam capable of in res. and output file sizes and importantly operation speed, how much will I shoot on the media and buy to suit.

You might like the idea of shooting uncompressed on a cam, but if its operation is too slow and you hardly use it, why size up your media? Don't forget with digital you always shoot more than with film.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 5:25 AM   #12

There are some specific smarmedia types out there, especially worth pointing out as the question is on Olympus cameras. If you buy genuine olympus cameras then you get a panoramic function built onto the card (most olympus cameras support this) if you put 3rd party memory into an olympus camera then this feature is lost.
shakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 8:43 AM   #13
NHL

Quote:
If you buy genuine olympus cameras then you get a panoramic function built onto the card(most olympus cameras support this) if you put 3rd party memory into an olympus camera then this feature is lost.
Did Olympus ever make their own cards or OEMed them from somebody else and re-labeled them (ie Fuji)? Isn't Oly a camera manufacturer and not a semiconductor manufacturer, not the least producing mass memories is a money-loosing proposition theses days, especially @ their tiny volume?
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...007&highlight=

Can't someone here figure out how Oly did this pano with their SM cards? My only SM enabled camera is an older Agfa 1680... ops: ops: ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:35 PM   #14

As far as I know, Oly don't produce cards they just brand them. My Oly xD card was actually made by Toshiba.

Also, the pano feature isn't a feature on the cards, it is a feature on Olympus cameras that is only enabled when one of their own cards is present. There are already know ways to format cards such that they contain the 'header data' which mkes them appear to be Olympus brand, this requires certain hardware card readers though.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 4:30 PM   #15

Quote:
There are already known ways to format cards such that they contain the 'header data' which makes them appear to be Olympus brand, this requires certain hardware card readers though.
Most card readers will allow you to write to the card as the card just looks like another hard drive. You can put the OLY headers on with a package like WinHex.exe which is a disc editor. There's plenty of stuff on how to make generic cards look like OLY ones.

If you don't fancy mucking about with headers, sectors, and bytes I'm sure you could take an Oly brand card and just copy this cards image format to a no-label generic brand card of the same size, using WinHex.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 7:31 PM   #16
NHL

.... Ah the power of the internet...it has never stop from amazing me!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote