Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:00 PM   #1

Default Viewing Pictures on a TV

I definitely feel like a newbie on this!!

I have tried to connect my Coolpix 4500 to 3 different televisions using my audio/video cable. I get a black screen on my camera and no pictures on the tv - just the regular tv show.

If I unplug the cable from my camera, I can preview my shots or watch it as a slide show, but as soon as I plug it back into the camera - I'm back to a black monitor screen and no pictures on the tv.

I have tried plugging it into a VCR, tried different video modes on one tv, tried different channels on the tv, tried alternating what I plug in and turn on first - tv versus camera.

I have gotten no where.

I know I'm missing something pretty basic here - please help!!

Thank You
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:11 PM   #2

Default Re: Viewing Pictures on a TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida
I get a black screen on my camera and no pictures on the tv - just the regular tv show.
On the TV, find a way ( on screen menu or on the remote) to set the input to something like video input 1 or 2
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:22 PM   #3

Just a thought ... make sure the camera output is set to NTSC ( and not PAL)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:46 AM   #4

In my area the video input channels are 91 and 92. Search with the remote for yours. You get a black screen until you activate your camera. The manual should tell you how to do this. On my camera, I press the monitor button and the pictures appear on the screen. Maybe you have to turn your camera on. Post this on the Nikon forum and you should get a quick answer.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:08 PM   #5

I had some problems when I first connected my camera to my TV and found that I had my TV video input set to S video and not "plain" video. As soon as I changed that setting, I was able to view my pictures.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:43 PM   #6

You guys are awesome!!

I checked the camera output and changed it to PAL since it was already set to NTSC. This didn't work, so I changed it back to NTSC.

I tried my different video settings again.

Finally I tried every channel on the tv and that worked!! It was channel zero - I kept trying 3 and 4.

So I'm viewing my pictures on my tv and they look darn good

Thank You so much!!!
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 8:45 AM   #7

Default Viewing Pictures on a TV

This seems to be a popular 'problem' on these forums. The basic things you have to get right are:

1/ Make sure you are using the correct settings for the country you are living in. That is PAL for Europe (English speaking - SECAM in France and NTSC in America and other regions). Make sure both are the same on the camera and TV.

2/ When you plug the AV lead into the television, more than likely you will have to choose an AV input setting on the TV. You will get either a blue or black screen and when the camera is set to 'Replay' mode the pictures on the camera will show onscreen.

3/ Also if your camera has audio capture, make sure the audio is plugged into the TV aswell. The quality though will be very low as it is set to monaural, this is the setting for sending it over the Internet as an Email attachment.

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote