Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:22 AM   #1

I'm starting to get some side business with my Still-photo movie making. One of the movies I'm currently assembling is for 45 parents of the boys on our football team. I want to give out the DVD movie for free, but if they want a pic from the movie, I could charge them for a download of said pic (at a reasonable price) to cover my costs, and to promote more business (the DVD as a promotional tool for future business in this case).

What would be the best method in "water marking" my photos so they can view them, and then buy them?

Any advice?

Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2

I am not aware of any way to prevent someone from simply printing one of the pics from the DVD. This question comes up from wedding photogs a lot, and the best solution I have heard of isto use lower resolution, small sized images on the free DVD, then either sell prints or a hi-res version of the DVD.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear.

THe DVD is a movie of the still pics. (Pinnacle Studio 9.0) These picscan't be printed as far as I know(and the resolution is not as good as the original pic).

The pictures associated with making the DVD will be uploaded onto a picture server. Thats what I want to charge for....
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4

I think PS has a tool for that. If not, simply create a new layer with say 50% opacity, and put some text in there. That way they can still view all of the images, but would not look nice for a print. This is what I think, I have never actually tried it.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:40 PM   #5

It is not that hard to take a DVD and rip the video stream off it, and then get a still frame out of the video stream.

Is it too much effort to make it worth doing? I don't know, that is a personal decision.

It isn't hard to add a watermark to pictures. There are various software packages and you can get actions for PhotoShop (both free and $$$.) But the reality is that I don't know of any that can't be removed with too much trouble. This is (I think) what VTphotog was trying to get at. Just don't make them good enough to be worth the effort to steal them.

Make it very clear that you can buy high resolution photos of the same images in the DVD, and make the DVD lower quality. That is really the only way to protect them. And if someone takes the low resolution image and rips it out of the DVD, then they probably wouldn't value the high resolution shots enough to buy them any ways.

I know many pros that use that logic. Put lower resolution on the web and don't try to stop them from being stolen. Sure, to minimal uninvasive stuff. But don't think for a minute that you can really stop them from stealing them if they want to. So instead of making it hard to view/steal it, make the one that costs money so much better that it's worth them buying it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:24 PM   #6

I was thinking about slide show software, but the same applies to video. As Eric says, some people will go to quite extensive lengths to get something for nothing.

Putting the text "SAMPLE" onto the pic in an outline font is one way I have seen to do what you are wanting.

There are photo hosting sites that require passwords to allow downloading pictures, and others which sell your prints and pay you. It seems as if this is what you are looking for. I haven't used one yet myself, and don't have the info, but I think if you ask on the photo hosting forum, you will get the answer you are after.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:30 AM   #7

Thank you all for the replies. I do have photoshop and it does have the capability to do this. Thanks again.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:26 AM   #8

Hi there. You know , recently i have found the proggy that allows to add logo watermarks to video.I thought , maybe it will be usefull for you.You can download it from:http://www.geovid.com/VidLogo/
Theora is offline   Reply With Quote