Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 30, 2003, 2:59 PM   #1

Default Great shutter button tip!

For all you newbies like me out there, I wanted to share a tip I just came across somewhere that has really increased my enjoyment of the picture taking process. With digital cameras, you don't have to press the shutter button and hold it down until the shutter goes off. You can press and release immediately. The cam will still take the pic, and, in fact, the shutter delay gives you a second to steady the cam better, for sharper images. I don't know about you, but holding that button down while trying to steady the cam has always created tension while shooting. Camera shake is such a problem with the zoom and I use the zoom a lot. Try it. It sure puts a grin on this ugly mutt's face!
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:28 PM   #2

If you press shutter button only half way, the camera will autofocus, make the correct settings and frame the viewfinder will also clear. You are ready when a light in the viewfinder is set or a sound is indicated. Then you press the button the rest of the way.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:50 PM   #3

Actually, Phil, that's what I'm questioning. That's what I used to do all the time, and still do for action shots, where I need to reduce shutter lag times. But for everything else, night shots, landscapes, portraits, shots with camera set on a beanbag, I find that the lag when you press and release immediately, gives me time to steady the camera again for less chance of camera shake. In this case, the lag time while the camera focuses and sets exposure seem to be a blessing. I'm getting more grab shots that are in focus. Plus, it's uncanny how satisfying it is to be able to let go of the cussed shutter button and relax into the shot! Please give it a try and tell me what you think. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:30 PM   #4

I used this technique when I first got my cam. Your right you can get used to it, but what I found with people shots is they instantly move or change their pose when they think you've released the shutter!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:51 PM   #5

Good point. I could see that. Did you just give it up completely then, considering it a bad habit to get into?
Old Jan 31, 2003, 3:18 AM   #6

I think I prefer to hear the re-assuring sound of the lens auto focussing on the half press and auto white balance is set up. It's easy to miss EVF warnings when you're concentrating on framing and you can't accurately check focus afterwards, even if you set post view on.

From the half press, you know that if the subject moves, even slightly, you can still correct the framing and shoot pretty quick. Also, if you hit a marginal low light indoors, you get the warning and can flip on the flash. I think it ends up as a personal choice for what you're doing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2003, 12:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply. I think I may keep doing the half press routine.