Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 1, 2002, 9:13 AM   #1

Default Best camera for sports photos?

I'm looking to buy a camera to take photos at my football (soccer) club during matches. I want to be able to take good 'sharp' images from 20-100 yards (or more) of players in action.

I'm not a professional photographer but I wasn't impressed with the quality of images on my last camera- the Sanyo VPC-G200E (blurry and pixelised, no zoom). I'm looking for something which isn't too costly, has a good zoom and has great clear looking images... say sized around 800x600 or more (don't have to be huge images). There is bound to be some fast movement on the pitch so the camera should be good enough to handle this.

If anyone can help me out i'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Dan
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2002, 12:13 PM   #2

Look around for an Oly E100RS. It's discontinued but you can still find them around for good prices. I've seen them at Fry's Electronics for $400. There's a photog here who uses one and has taken some terrific sports pictures with the 100s high speed mode.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks i'll check it out, problem is though it could be harder to pick up in the UK. I wish I could see some of the sports photos to see how good it is.

How does the Oly C700 compare next to this camera and others? it has a x10 zoom but what are peoples views on it and other long range zoom cameras?

Also if it's not too much trouble what distances do different zoom settings cover? i.e. x3, x4, x7 etc.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 5:51 PM   #4

The 3x, 7x, 10x number you see on digicams is zoom ratio and has little to do with magnification. It means that the telephoto focal length is that many times the wide angle focal length. My Dimage 7x zoom is the equivalent of a 28-200mm lens on a 35mm camera. Don't confuse zoom ratio with the magnification ratio on a pair of 7x or 10x binoculars.

Focal lengths for digicams is usually given in the equivalent of those on 35mm film cameras for angle of view. The aspect ratios are different, 3:2 for 35mm and 4:3 for most digicams, but it will put you in the ballpark if you are familiar with 35mm gear.

To calculate angle of view imagine a pyramid with a rectangular base that represents the film frame and the height representing the focal length at infinity focus. Unfortunately they never tell you the true size of the CCD image area so you have to go with the "35mm equivalent."

What you need to determine is what angle of view you need for your application. Are you in the top of a football stadium trying to photograph a player's face or courtside at a basketball game?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 11:01 PM   #5

Not sure on how the E100 does with football, haven't taken any of that yet.
I know it does great with softball and basketball , lighting makes a huge diff, in your pics.

you can check out my pics from the E100 on my site if you want . I have some softball sites up too. with pics from it.

I love mine , takes great action shots.
Ive had mine since Jan.
One great thing about it is the fps and it takes both kinds of cards , which comes in handy taken action shots since you take so many with fast frames.

www.eteamz.com/WVCobras
www.pbase.com/wvyankeegurl
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 11:11 PM   #6

Here is one , i have more on the site.

wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 9:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the help guys, I was impressed by your pics wvyankeegurl so i'll check out the E100
Old Jul 13, 2002, 8:36 PM   #8

This is every other frame (7fps/2) from a Minolta 7i.
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 8:59 PM   #9

Default Nikon CP5700

You may also want to check out the brand new Nikon Coolpix 5700. These photos were taken just today.

http://www.pbase.com/joker66/carracing__unedited
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2002, 10:55 PM   #10
lg

Consider also the Olympus C-2100. Like the E100RS, it's no longer being produced, but you should be able to find one out there for $400-$500. It's a better camera than the C700. It has a digitally stabilized lens and a larger LCD screen.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote