Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1

Hey all...

I'm new...and sadly inept at the moment with my new camera... :? Irecently (just this week)bought a Nikon D50, and am slowly learning the ins & outs of it. I am looking into some photography classes (sorely needed, lol!) but in the meantime, would love some quick advice.

The main reason I gotmy new camerawas in hopes of (eventually!) capturing some quality action shots. My primary interest is animal/pet photography... (Ihave a very (very) active 10 month old Italian Greyhound puppy,and our old digicam, an older Nikon Coolpix,had not a hope in the world of catching him-he'd constantly be out of frame with the delay between button push and capture!!)

Anyway... what settings (be very specific, please!)work well for action shots?

For instance...indoors? with "average", somewhatsubdued,overhead lighting?

I've tried taking pics of his antics racing around the room and playing, but have only tried the more automatic modes, not knowing yet much about manipulating the different settings. Using the "sports" setting, I get pics such as the one below:

Help!! :-)
Attached Images

Murmurmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:53 AM   #2

(oh, sorry,FYI...that was a very close crop of the original pic, which looked more like this...)
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:56 AM   #3

Fortunately I have a bit more luck with the close-ups...:roll:
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4

First, keep in mind that the amount of light that looks fairly bright to your eye (a good reading light) can be dim for photography. So you are going to want to use some combination of a high ISO, a fast lens,a slow shutter speed, and/or a flash. Experiment, and try out the rear-curtain flash setting combined with a slow shutter speed.

If you don't have one, get an EXIF reader to be able to see what the settings were for the picture you are looking at. (Likely one came with the camera.)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:23 PM   #5

If you want to do it without flash look in your instruction manual for the ISO control. Set the ISO to 400 of 800 for indoors and set it to the Shutter priority mode (S) then turn the adjustment dial to the right for the hightest shutter speed. Take a few practice shots and post. Lets see how they turn out!
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:34 PM   #6

Here is a diagram to help:

Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote