Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 1, 2003, 6:49 PM   #1

Default Buying Advise........TRV 27, TRV 40, PC 100 or PC 110.......

Could anybody help me to decide which would be the best buy out of the following selected 4 Sony Mini DV models : TRV 27, TRV 40,
PC 100 or PC 110. Im looking for good quality Video/Audio/Stills as im interested in video editing and graphics. These are the best four i could zero my search on within my budget, it would be really helpful if anyone can suggest me which one to buy.
rawheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2003, 9:18 PM   #2

Be warned, the quality of these Sony DV camera stills do not come close to matching a good quality camera like Sony's own S-85.

The stills are acceptable to some people, but if you care about high quality photos you might not be happy.

As for the choice on the video side, one of the biggest factors between the cameras you mention is the form factor. I initally purchased a PC110, but couldn't get used to operating the zoom control on such a small camera.

Some people prefer tiny, some like it a little larger for usability reasons.
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:10 AM   #3

actually,

Sony DV camcorders DO have good still photo quality if you buy a model with atleast a megapixel CCD AND buy an external flash. Make sure the model you purchase comes equipped with the Sony Intelligent Shoe which will allow you to attach either the Sony HVL-FDH3 or HVL-FDH4 flash/video light. Actually, I think some of the newer high-end models come equipped with a built in flash, but I dont think the TRV line does.

To avoid graininess, an external flash is a MUST for taking digital stills with your Sony camcorder unless all your photos are taken in full sunlight.
welfaredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 12:12 PM   #4

I guess it's a matter of opinion.

I have a TRV30 that takes 1.5 megapixel stills, and no matter how good the light is the quality is clearly lower than the Sony S-85.

If anyone is undecided on this point the ultimate test would be to go to a store with the right equipment and conduct your own comparison.
lwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:40 PM   #5

dont get me wrong,

i totally agree that a dedicated digital still camera will always give better quality photos, but i was pleasantly suprised with the photo quality of my TRV730, but only after I bought an addon flash.

welfaredog is offline   Reply With Quote