Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 2, 2003, 9:23 AM   #1

Default Another Adolbe Photoshop Elements 2 Question

Is this a software program that would be good for a beginer trying to teach himself.

Thank you.
Ken
Kentarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:12 AM   #2

Ken -

I was in the same boat as you concerning Photoshop Elements. I had used other software editing tools so I was familiar with various terms and many of the basic adjustments you can do - brightness, contrast, crop, etc. I went ahead an bit the bullet and purchased a copy. Out of the box, it's relatively easy to use for many of the basic functions. There is a steep learning curve on using layers and the other advanced functions but nothing insurmountable. And there Adobe has a web site for Q&A, etc. There are a number of books out there but I have not had much time available to research 'em (too busy taking pictures! I wish....)

I don't use Photoshop Elements for printing however. I use Qimage. There's an area here on Steve's boards for Qimage and I have found Qimage gives me the best prints at all sizes.

Another option usually available is the software that came with your camera. Camedia came with my Olypus and it's a very satisfactory program for basic editing, to include the dreaded red eye. I think it does the best job "stiching" photos for a panorama, but that requires me to use the Olympus xD card that came with my camera.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 (no stickers) B-300
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:44 PM   #3

Default Re: Another Adolbe Photoshop Elements 2 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentarv
Is this a software program that would be good for a beginer trying to teach himself.

Thank you.
Ken
teach yourself by fooling around?? Well, to do it "right", probably not, unless you have used full blown Photoshop, or other high end image editing apps.

If you just fool around on your own without *any* guidence, you may not ever think of using layers to make basic, simple enhancements to a photo. I mean, I didn't. Thoguth layers was just for making a final image that was a composite of a few other images. Boy, was I wrong.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 6:54 AM   #4

Default Re: Another Adolbe Photoshop Elements 2 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentarv
Is this a software program that would be good for a beginer trying to teach himself
It's easy to use if you have a helpfull guide. Have a look at -

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5659
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote