Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:07 PM   #1

I purchased a Sony DSC-200. Most pictures I have taken are blurry. I have taken the image size down from 7m pix to 3m pix. Sony's online help tells me to use a tripod and hold the camera still. No kidding! I'm trying to take quick pictures of my newborn son without a lot of futzing withthe camera. My privious 2.1m pixCybershot took great pics. Did I buy the right camera. Any suggestions?
GolfDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:46 AM   #2

Set it to auto mode and make sure the flash is firing if the shots are indoors. Turn on more lights if indoors. Make sure ISO is either set to auto or try the highest setting (you will get more grain/noise, though).

Simply sounds like there is not enough light near/around/on the baby, so the camera is using a slow speed, hence blur. The brighter light, the better.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Administrator

I don't know what model 2MP Cybershot you had. But, some of them had relatively bright lenses (i.e., f/2), and the 2MP CCD used in some of the older models did pretty good from a noise perspective as ISO speeds are increased.

Your new model's lens starts out at f/2.8, which means you'll need shutter speeds twice as long as with a camera having an f/2 lens (f/2.0 is twice as bright as f/2.8 ), for any given lighting condition and ISO speed).

Larger apertures (represented by smaller f/stop numbers) let in more light, and these aperturesare only available at the widest lens settings with most models (your model will automatically use the largest aperture available for the amount of zoom you use in low light).

Far more light reaches your camera's sensor through the lens when using the wide angle position, too (the more optical zoom you use, the lower the light reaching the sensor, requiring longer shutter speeds).

If you can't use a flash or tripod, your best bet will be to increase your ISO speed to 400, and shoot at the widest lens setting (don't use any more zoom than necessary since more light will reach the sensor at the wide angle zoom setting).

Then, try to hold the camera as steady as possible, slowly squeezing the shutter button as not to jerk the camera. You'll still need pretty good indoor lighting using this technique, though.

You'll also have more noise (similar to film grain) as you increase ISO speed. But, there are some very good tools to reduce it like Noiseware or Neat Image. They both have free versions of their respective programs for home use, too.

With a compact digital camera, your best bet is probably going to be using the flash. That way, you don't have to worry as much about holding the camera steady (or using a tripod), or increasing your ISO Speed (which adds noise).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanke very much for the reply!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Your help is appreciated!