Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 4, 2003, 5:35 PM   #1

Default Numptie needs help.

Hi......First post!

I'm looking to buy a Digital Camera and cannot decide which to get. Not a new problem I think.

I keep thinking about a camera with a good zoom. Something like the Olympus C-730 or Fuji 6900. I would use the camera for action shots at sporting events.

However, a friend of mine has said not to bother with anything 'fancy' and get a cheapie (as in $200) 4mp camera as the dearer camera wont take a better picture and the features aren't worth it. He also thinks that with a higher megapixel camera I can just 'zoom' in on the PC rather than using the cameras zoom.

Can anyone clear things up for me and offer some advise?

Thanks in advance.
fat bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:30 PM   #2

Default Re: Numptie needs help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke
....get a cheapie (as in $200) 4mp camera as the dearer camera wont take a better picture and the features aren't worth it. He also thinks that with a higher megapixel camera I can just 'zoom' in on the PC rather than using the cameras zoom....
Megapixels are far from the only measurement of quality: at most, Mpixels measure how large a print you can make. If two cameras are equal in everything but Mpixels (never happens), the higher mp camera can produce a print in linear dimension the square root of the ratio of mp larger. As an example, a 4Mp camera can produce a print 1.4142.. [sqrt(2)] times as large as a 2Mp camera. That can also be viewed as the "zoom factor",

Whether features are worth the price, you have to decide for yourself.

Have you used a chemical camera?
What lens(es) did it have?
Did it do the job you wanted?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:43 PM   #3
lg

For a long zoom (6x and greater), you will find that image stabilization is a great plus for getting sharp pictures. Currently, the only camera in production is the Panasonic Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1, which is 12x. It's brand new, and I haven't seen any good reviews of it, so the jury is still out.

If you don't mind purchasing a refurbished unit, the Olympus C-2100 is another stabilized long zoom. It takes crystal clear, properly exposed pics virtually all the time, even hand held at 10x zoom and 1/8 sec!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:13 PM   #4

Your friend talks with a forked tongue:

Zooming in on the PC doesn't even come close to compensating for a good optical zoom.

Sure some cheapies work well but will restrict your creativity and may offer a poor flash and low light performance. The two options you mention will do nicely.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:27 PM   #5

The more you need to crop and zoom in on point of the photo the more mp you will need. My minimum for a new camera would be 2mp (3mp better), 3X optical zoom. Image Stalization is really needed on the zooms above 6X. You can compensate for the Image Stablization by using a tripod.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 2:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have seen a 2nd hand C-2100 which I might be able to get for 350.

I'll try and get that.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:48 PM   #7

Hi....

You will not go wrong in getting the C2100 as I have just bought myself one only a couple of weeks ago. I have only been able to use it at home as the old leg is strapped up, but what I have managed to get, including shots from my rear garden {Yard} Every thing comes out crystal clear. My only concern is that you mention the price of 350. I got mine from Jessops condition 1. ie as new and everything in the box. Not a scratch on it. I paid 249 so some negotiation is needed me old son.

Box contents as follows:Rm1 Remote control- Strap-Software CD Rom(utility software Camedia)-RS232C PC serial Cable-Audio/Video cable (PAL)-8MB Smartmedia Card-2x CRLithium batteries (not rechargable)-Instruction manual-12month Warrenty (with the option to extend it to three years) I kid you not. and a USB cable.
You can also have a look around this site based in the UK.

http://<u><a href="http://www.intern....co.uk</a></u>

Cheers &....
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 6:06 PM   #8

Forgot to mention the 4xNiMh AA rechargable batteries plus charger and a lens cap. No security toggle though. But a piece of black cord soon fixed that.
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 4:25 AM   #9

249 from Jessops!!! Wow.

I've phoned my local branch and they are suppose to be phoning me back.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:38 AM   #10

Jessops haven't got any

London Camera Exchange are trying to find one for me.

The 350 one is from ebay. The only haggling would be if he doesn't sell it on there.