Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:41 AM   #1

Default Canon Pro90 IS or Olympus C-2100 or ?????

These two cameras seem very similar. Has anyone had experience with both in order to compare them? Are the slightly higher number of pixels on the Canon important? I'm trying to find my first good digital camera that has both a powerful telephoto and image stabilization. Are there any other choices out there that fit the bill? Is there something with image stabilization that can use a seperate telephoto lens to get the same reach?

Any and all input is appreciated!
artshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:22 AM   #2

Click this Breaking News story by Steve

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pa...03_fz1_pr.html

I know that they are selling this camera in Japan now. I suspect by first of March it may start selling in the US.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:35 AM   #3

I heard about that... but does a Panasonic lens really measure up to a Canon or Olympus? Do you think this will have some features that would one-up either of these other models? I've read several of the press releases, but I'm afraid some of the technical specs are over my head... I want a camera I can "grow into" and I couldn't tell if this camera would allow for additional lenses for that sort of thing. I'm interested in wildlife photography, and I'm afraid to invest too much in a camera that I will want to upgrade within a year. C-2100 users seem to be happy for a long time...
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:22 AM   #4

Can't speak about the Olympus, but I own a Canon Pro90. The Canon is more expensive (it has maintained its value since I bought it about 14 months ago). It uses Compact Flash vs Smart Media in the Olympus. The Canon has a hot shoe and is fully adjustable (ie. manual, program, shutter priority, etc)

More megapixels is good.

Both cameras are out of production.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
but does a Panasonic lens really measure up to a Canon or Olympus?
I expect the lens will be as good as any - especially as it's a Leica
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:29 PM   #6

The Panasonic lens should be good as Steve pointed out. There have been no reviews of this camera because it has not been released for sale in the US. If you have time, wait for the reviews and the cost for the camera.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 12:40 PM   #7

Thank you all for your input! Patience is a virtue I'd like to hve.... RIGHT NOW! lol, well, it looks like I'm already the proud new owner of a C-2100. I talked a seller on ebay into ending an auction and selling to me for $400.00 which is about the best I've seen for the excellent condition of the camera. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...004515941&rd=1

Did I do OK? They seem to be getting impossible to find at a decent price.

Now I've been offered some items to go with the camera, by a different seller who I had previously lost an auction to, but I am too much of a newbie to know if this is a good deal, or if these items will be useful to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Here is what I have been offered:

3 GIG Digital Wallet, and seven 49mm filters (Moose's Warm(81A) Polarizing filter, Promaster ND4X neutral density filter, Hoya Skylight (1A), Hoya R(25A) red, Rollei GELB-Mittel yellow, Osawa G58 green, and HOYA Close-Up #4, a Sony 1.4X teleconverter, a Sony 2X teleconverter, and a Yashicor wide angle converter all for $260, including shipping and insurance

I am most interested in wildlife photography, if that helps. Thanks! Sue

[/url]
Old Feb 5, 2003, 2:03 PM   #8

A c2100 in good working condition for $400 is a steal. Congrats.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:19 PM   #9
lg

Yeah, and talking the seller on eBay into ending the auction early when you are top bidder is something I'd like to learn more about! Great going, Sue!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:28 AM   #10

Thank you lg, and everone who has posted replys to my questions.

Here's the lowdown on how I went about winning the auction the way I did:

I was able to talk the seller into ending early because he had not gotten a single bid for the camera, and it had already been on for at least three days. The reason he hadn't gotten any bids yet, was because he had no feedbacks listed next to his name, as he was a first time seller. Most peole feel uncomfortable spending on high end items from unproven sellers. It helped that there were other C-2100s listed at the same time by other sellers with proven histories. I emailed him through ebay and asked the history of the camera, and if he would feel comfortable talking on the phone. After speaking with him, I felt safe bidding, and I guess he was comfortable with me as well, so he told me his reserve, and I offered instant payment with Paypal if he would stop the auction as soon as I made my bid, which he did. I think it helps that I have over 150 feedbacks, all positive. If people feel like they are guaranteed to be paid, they usually don't mind an auction ending a bit lower, rather than having to reauction and pay ebay fees after a deadbeat bidder backs out.

Well, I hope I didn't bore everyone with that. For others looking for a deal on a C-2100, I had posted a want ad at ioffer.com and one has been listed, price negotiable, at:

http://www.ioffer.com/viewItem.do?itemID=603680

The $300 offer is mine... I knew I'd never get it for that, it was just to start a dialogue. I've got mine now, so feel free to out offer me.
There are still a few on ebay, and I think I've collected links to every other C-2100 available on the entire internet, (which is not a lot!), but none at the price I paid. Feel free to email me if you want links to those.

I LOVE this board!