Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:44 PM   #1

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but I've been a fan of Steve's for years. I was wondering where to learn about taking photos like the one's listed below. Like how to set up a shot and what types of lenses and lighting to use. Also, how to set up the background of a shot.

I have no experience with photography so please assume I know nothing. If anyone here could send me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Some photos I would like to be able to attempt (WARNING: some nudity):

http://www.7floor.net/inside.php?f=1&p=3
http://www.7floor.net/inside.php?f=1&p=17

basically most of the shots from 7floor.net.

thank you!

rmill9681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2

It you look in the area for posting pictures, there is a section called:
"people photos"

There are some good people in there, and they take pictures of the style you offered up.
I would look at what they do, as questions in their posts, and see what you can learn.

There are a variety of issues in the type of photography that is listed. Both technical and interpersonal. Of the top of my head:
Finding locations where you can do it.
Understanding poses (using them, what fits the person, what fits the location and clothing)
Understanding and using light. Both natural and artificial.
Finding models.
Understanding/using Depth of Field to your advantage.

Not having ever taken a photo with a model (in this sense) I am sure that I'm missing some of the more important aspects.

There are a variety of books in larger bookstores about how to do Galmor photography. A local library might not have any on that subject, but they might have a book about portrate work, which is simiar in some ways.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:59 AM   #3

thank you for your help. I'll look into it
rmill9681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:46 AM   #4

I also wanted to point out that I looked at some of the pictures on that site. Some are very good (to my eye) and some are only... ok. Technically well photographed, but the pose didn't really do much for me.

But I wanted to say that there are some serious TV stars on that site (and I'm sure I didn't recognise all of them.) That is a high power, very expensive studio (I bet.) It is good to aim high, but also realize that it will be a lot of work to get photos at that level. I say that more as a challenge than a warning... but it's still a warning.

The format of the images (the ratio of horizontal vs. vertical) make me think that they used a medium format camera of some kind. That would increase the detail, and if they used a film intended for that color scheme (Sepia) then it probably has a very large dynamic range (shows a wide range of light to dark). This is something that most digital cameras can't do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote