Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 6, 2003, 3:52 PM   #1

Default Picture Quality

I own a FujiFilm Finepix 2650 and am looking for tips on how to make my pictures turn out better (so they are as good as the samples on this site).
sfnitro230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2003, 4:31 PM   #2

Ah... that's a little vague. How about a description of where you think you're falling short and maybe even a sample photo or two. If you need help with the camera itself, try thr Fuji forum here and also the fuji forum at www.dpreview.com.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 5:07 PM   #3

Here is a sample photo:
http://sfnitro.beyond-repair.net/DSCF0005.JPG
Old Feb 6, 2003, 5:23 PM   #4

The subject isn't terribly inspiring, a few outdoor pics with some creativity applied might help. What do you think is wrong?

The cam is only electronics, the pictures you get are down to what you do with it!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 5:49 PM   #5

It looks like there is some grain/noise showing in the monitor glass. What are the settings you took this at? Maybe a high ISO setting? (Or could this just be because of the flash/lighting? Anyone?)

It should be noted that I know nothing about the Fuji camera you're using, so I can't really talk in specifics.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:07 PM   #6

Have some mercy for us folks with dial-up connections.

Crop out a detail part of the picture that illustrates the problem (noise in the TV screen) or compress it down to something like a max of 100Kbytes, pease don't put a 641 Kbyte image up and expect anyone with a dial up to spend the time to look at it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:16 PM   #7

Sorry for the inconvience, but here is a 75k file just showing the noise.

http://sfnitro.beyond-repair.net/DSCF0005crop.jpg
Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:03 AM   #8

First, take a look at the EXIF data on that shot to see what ISO and shutter speed were used. Long exposures will increase noise - typically starting at something a bit under a second, though could be quite a bit different than that. High ISO values also lead to noise, often any setting higher than 100.

What shutter speed/ISO combination starts to produce noise is very much camera specific. Do some tests of your own by changing the light levels and shooting some test shots. You also might get some idea of the limits by asking in the forum for your specific camera - but do your own experiments as well. It is possible/likely that the CCD in your specific camera came from a different batch than the other folks who have the same brand/model.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:55 PM   #9

I already looked at the EXIF settings, they just looked like ordinary auto mode 1/60th second flash to me, without any cam errors flagged.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:08 PM   #10

Here is a pic I just took today of the snow outside my house. In this photo the trees look weird.

Compressed Pic: http://sfnitro.beyond-repair.net/snow.jpg

Trees Cropped Out of Full Size Image: http://sfnitro.beyond-repair.net/treesclose.jpg