Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:46 PM   #1

I am getting annoyed with carrying a small piece of white paper to do my white balance with. Can anyone recommend a good gray card and maybe a place to buy it online? I have looked everywhere online and am having trouble finding one.

thanks

John
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 4:45 PM   #2

John,

Try the phonebook and local camera shops (decent ones that sell pro photo gear - not the Ritz Camera type places) - they should carry grey cards - for about $6.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:19 PM   #3

When you get the gray card, just cut it down into pieces the size to fit nicely in your pocket. Should get four of them that way.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:34 PM   #4

great! i was hoping to find one online but i guess ill hit the camera store this weekend!

thanks

john
Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:58 PM   #5

Keep carryinga clean white piece of paper.Proper white balancing with digital camera`s insures good color rendition. Gray cards were/are used with 35mm cameras to calibrate the light meters (lighter/darker). :G

About 3 weeks ago an old friend of mine gave me a Pentax K1000 manual 35mm camera in just about perfect condition. I first started with cameras with the K1000 back in the mid-70`s. Since then, I went thru a myriad of Pentax cameras. I always used, and kept, a gray card with me in my camera bag. Right now I have a Pannasonic FZ20 digital camera and keep, and use, a white piece of paper that has been manufactured for high end color digital photo copiers. Digital copiers do a white balance adjustmentas part of the start process. I am indeed saving my lunch money up for aPentax DSLR camera body, plus a new lens (or two, and maybe a new dedicated flash for the DSLR,...but don`t tell my wife) for the Pentax DSLR. Still, I`m gonna play with the K1000, and gray card, like back in the olden days. :G
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:40 PM   #6

Anyone else wanna chime in on the subject in regards to white balances, and light meter calibration?
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:28 AM   #7

I read that a grey card / white card / white piece of paper are all the same for white balancing.* Something along the lines of ... gray is neutral so it does the same as white.I just want something more sturdy than a piece of crumbly paper!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:25 AM   #8
Administrator

Check withlocal photography supply retailers, and they may carry Kodak R-27 cards (white on one side, 18% gray on the other side).

It looks like B&H is out of stock. But, they'v got some other brands of gray cards:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A=search&Q=

There are some other "tricks" to set WB, too. For example, some users bring a coffee filter with them for this purpose (not very reflective so it can work well).

Another way is to use a Pringles Potato Chip Cancover (the gray plastic ones that are translucent). Cover your lens with it, point the camera at the light source and set your white balance. But, I've heard that some of the newer Pringles lids are not the correct shade of gray.

Yet another similarsolution isExpodisc

B&H sells them in various sizes to match your lens diameter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=&ci=9630

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:15 AM   #9

Re the Expodisc:

I had an unused (it was rather scratched up) uv filter. A couple years ago I took very gritty Comet cleaning powder and rubbed with water and cloth to totally frost the scratched surface (I bet 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper would work, too). I can simply put the frosted filteron the lens, point in the direction I intend to shoot,and white balance. Still works perfectly every time I have needed to do a white balance. Could probably do it with a clear pocketable piece of Plexiglas, too.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:38 PM   #10

A gray card will work just fine for color balancing. Since it has equal values of RGB, it looks like a white cardat alower light levelto the camera. So you might have some problems in very low light levels where loosing a few stops means the manual white balance doesn't work well for your camera, but no problem in reasonable light levels.

What "reasonable" means will depend on what camera you are using.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote