Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 9, 2003, 2:07 PM   #1

Default Selecting my first digital camera

I'm researching to buy my first digital camera. Steve's is a great site and the forum a great service. I've also gone to other sites and books (Consumers Report) , talked to friends and have gone to retail outlets. I'm building a spreadsheet to list features and look at pricing.

I want a fairly serious camera for an upcoming trip to Italy. I think I need at least a 4 megapixel camera. I've zeroed in on a couple I think are becoming quarter finalists - the Canon G3 and Nikon CoolPix 4500. Also the Sony DSC-85 and Olympus C-4000 are in the mix (in case the other two shouldn't be my finalists).

It seems the Nikon has both a quality and a price advantage over all the competitors based on the versatile and apparently powerful mix of auto and manual controls. Plus a little better optical zoom, white balance and nearer macro focus (I'm not sure I'll really use the macro focus much but seems a nice feature since it's there).

I'll probably wait until later in the spring or early summer to see what happens to prices and whatever new models may hit the street. But would appreciate any comments by those who have been through this as a check to see if my logic train is pointed in the proper direction. Thanks

JC :lol:
jc1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:27 PM   #2

Oly 730
Fuji 602

I believe both are better options for you with bigger zooms and plenty of functionality.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:41 PM   #3

Default Re: Selecting my first digital camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1849
....I'll probably wait until later in the spring or early summer to see what happens to prices and whatever new models may hit the street. ....
Make sure you get the camera well in advance of your trip. You really don't want to spend your vacation reading a manual, or come back and find that you did something seriously wrong.

There is an old rule, Never go on vacation with a new camera. That is not the time to learn how to use it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 3:52 PM   #4

I would recommend adding the Olympus C4040 to your list. It has a F1.8 lens that will provide great indoor shooting. The optics for this camera are great. 4mp and 3X optical zoom.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote