Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 2, 2002, 1:14 PM   #1

Default camera 800-1000 whats good ?

looking to take up photography up has a hobby, and was wondering what should i be looking for in a digital (i own a hp 618 now) but been really looking into the d7i since its in my price bracket, ill be taking mostly action (streetbike stunts) and outdoor nature pics... any help on picking one out and good places to buy would be great

Thanks
slothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2002, 3:14 PM   #2

I'm not sure that there are many or any cameras in a similar price range with similar features. My vote would be for the D7i but it of course pays to look at other cameras. When I bought mine the next camera with comparable features was the much more expensive Oly E-20. The Nikon CP5700 has a couple of advantages but I think more expensive and IMHO has several severe drawbacks. YMMV Caveat Emptor

I got my D7 through http://www.buydig.com/ around last Christmas. Prompt service and they delivered exactly what I ordered with no hassles or pressure to buy overpriced accessories.

You'll be in for a somewhat steep learning curve with the D7i so try not to get frustrated right away when you find it isn't as simple to use as your current camera. When you learn how to take advantage of the camera's flexibility and features you'll get the images you want.

You'll need to sink some cash into more batteries and memory. If you arent' using NiMH battereies and a good fast charger get them. I'd look seriously at a 1gb microdrive too. I've seen them as low as $280 @ B&H Photo. At 5 megapixels you'll go through memory fast. A 128mb card only holds 49 fine quality JPGs, 12 RAW or 8 TIFF at max resolution.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2002, 3:20 PM   #3

the other camera i was looking at was the dimmage 5, (just like the feel of the dimages in my hand) which i seen go or around 500..

ya i do know/read that the dimages arent point and shoot, which is fine, just makes have to learn im going today to get a photgraphy book to learn about all the settings/terms mean so i can have a better understanding on whats going on a

[Edited on 7-2-2002 by slothy]
Old Jul 2, 2002, 9:05 PM   #4

You can use the D7/5 as a point and shoot but you need to know a bit to get the most out of it. The default program settings are not always the best. If you want only a simple to use camera and are satisfied with 3mp you may be better served by a different camera.

I'd steer you from the D5 unless you get a screamer deal on one. You're limiiited to 3mp and you may not be able to get the performance upgrades of the software update that will soon be available.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 9:15 PM   #5

ya its 7i or bust hehehe, thought about it today , the diff from the 5 and 7i is only about 250-300 bucks online, so ill prob order one next week and get some books this weekend and read up

Thanks for your help padeye
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:16 AM   #6

I hope it's a good choice for you. Keep in mind that even the D7 boosters don't think the D7 is the perfect camera, just that it's the best deal for the money. Take the time to learn basic technique and how all the modes of the D7 work and you'll have less frustration. Be sure to budget for needed accessories as they really add up. I still need to invest in more memory and have to decide if I want a Minolta dedicated hot shoe flash or if I'll go with a Sunpak potato masher.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 1:36 PM   #7
NHL

I'll stay away from the D5 mainly because I don't think the difference in price is worth the lost features of the D7(i) which are related to the more sensitive 5Mpixels CCD. ie the EVF's B/W mode in total darkness, and the 4x magnification for manual focus... Beside the D7i is a new improved version while the D5 was released at the same time last year as the D7.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote