Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:11 PM   #1

I'm sure a lot of you have heard this question time and time again over the years. I've been searching high and low for a reasonable answer. Maybe one of you can help me on my journey.

I am looking fora method to easily trim/cut a person out of a photo. I've done extraction tool tutorials, I've done tidious color range selection, I've also dont it manually with the eraser, however. I've read there are plugins to accomplish this a well. If anyone could possibly point me in a direction that doesnt end up with me sitting, manually erasing peice by peice for hours on end. I'd greattttlyyy appreciate it.

Thank you very much.
Iniquity.
Iniquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:58 PM   #2

I have not seen an "artificial intelligence" plugin, as that is what it would take, to do what you want each and every time. There are several methods you can use, and programs such as PhotoShop CS2 make it easier, but you must use your eye, brain, and dexterity to accomplish a cutout of a person, especially if the background is not one solid color. Themagnetic or polygonal lasso tools work wonderfully, as do several other methodologies and built-in features.

Nonetheless, what I rapidly and accurately use that you may find makes it easier for you to edit and select very specific areas is an Intuos 3 penpad (the Graphire also works well) by Wacom (http://wacom.com/index2.cfm ). I use the 4x5 size due to limited desk space, but they have them bigger (read more expensive), too. I also use an "airbrush" pen along with the "standard" pen for photo editing, but that is personal preference.

Hey, you learned way back before kindergarten to use a crayon and pencil ... the mouse is a difficult tool to master, but the pen is a lifetime learned "natural" tool!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 4:01 PM   #3

Look up Corel Knockout. It specializes in that sort of thing. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard a few recommendations.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:25 PM   #4

Well, when you take a person out of a photo, assuming you aren't going to just crop him/her out you have to replace the space with something. The easiest way I've done it is to simply clone them out. I'm going to cast around and see if I can find one I've done to illustrate. Best regards,

KennethD
notice that as I snapped this candid pic, a person walked nearly in front of me as I shot...
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5

All I did was to use the clone tool...and presto...he's gone. Is this similair to what you are refering to? If the background is right, as it was here, then the solution is very simple. Good luck... Kd
Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2005, 4:53 PM   #6

KENNETHD,

That is one super job with the clone tool. Perfect.

Which program do you use to do this?

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:55 PM   #7

Hi Divertwo...I used photosuite 7 or it might have even been photosuite 4, I have them both and the clone tool works the same in each of them. If you look at this photo you will notice that I was able to see a certain symmetry here which made this task much much easier than it looks, because the fountain's curve for example repeats and all I had to do was clone it around to the right over the figure of the man. You can see I got a little impatient and hurried thru the last bit of the fountain by looking at the water at the right edge, spilling over the lip. I could have done a much neater job, but sort of settled for the result I had already. You can see where I cloned if you look closely, by looking for ares thqat repeat themselves. At first glance tho, no one would see it, so it really is a very simple and effective method of doing these things. I saw photosuite 7 yesterday while browsing thru the store and it was around 35 bucks, which I think is a really great buy. It has a lot of pre solved solutions for various effects and is way simple to use. Thanks for the compliment, I just peeked at this topic and was happy someone noticed my reply. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 15, 2005, 7:13 PM   #8

KENNETHD,

Thank you so much for the good information. You sure did a Great job on cloning out the person in the photo. I did npt see anything wrong until you mentioned it. It still is a fine job. I don't think anyone would have noticed.

I am going to order PhotoSuite 7. I already have PSP 7 & 8 and usethem almost every day, but will give your program a go too.

Thank you again for your time.

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote