Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 23, 2005, 4:24 PM   #1

Hello, i am purchasing a Fuji Finepix S5000 digital slr and was wondering which printer is the best for this paticular model. ( bearing in mind i am looking for a relatively small printer and one reasonably withpriced ink cartiridges)

thank you for your time !

Myke
mykeloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:22 PM   #2

Depends what you mean is "the best printer".

I would personally buy a printer based on three imperatives:

1) The quality of the paper I can buy, which really really effects the quality of the print.

2) How good is the ink?

3) How cheap is the ink.

I wouldn't worry about the cost of the printer.

Here's a sneaky secret - Most, if not all color inkjets can print a great photo-like picture!

Okay, so you have a Fuji Finepix S5000 digital SLR.

I would recommend HP printers because they have awesome, if not the best paper.

You can buy it in all grades, including using somebody elses cheap paper like you can get at Walmart, but if your going for quality, the deluxe HP paper is hard to beat.

And if you use HP paper in an HP printer, that's a hard combo to beat!

I use a $90 HP PSC 1315 Three-in-one printer (prints, copies, scans) and I get awesome photos from it when I use the HP photo cartridge with the HP color cartridge (swap out black and white cartridges for printing photos) and useone of the higher quality HP papers.

The cartridges cost about $20-30 dollars for the largest capacity.

I go through about 2 sets of cartridges a year but I'm printing 100's of photos.

Now if you want to spend more money you can go for some high end 6 cartridge printers.

But I assume your starting out printing so your probably not ready for pro printing.

An HP printer and HP paper will get you better results than sending out your prints.

BTW, you will also need to buy a paper cutter to trim your photos.

Don't buy a cheap paper cutter, get a good one.

Happy printing!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:46 PM   #3

I agree with Terry ... you can't beat the 1315 family of printers for price, print quality,and features (bought one for the family to use, in fact). You did not specify, though, if you wanted one that printed smaller than 8x10sizes only, was self-standing (no computer required), or battery operated.

They now even have a decent large format printer at a reasonable price, but I had already purchased my outstanding Canon i9900 beforeHP got smart and realized there was a market for a high print quality 13x19 printer affordable by us peons.

In short, HP has outstanding printers in all classes and supplies are available virtually anywhere ...and I always recommend them to my students. But don't sneeze at the fine Canon and Epson products, either!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 9:24 PM   #4

Wasn't sneezing at the other products.

I like HP primarily for their paper.

The HP printer follows the desire to use HP paper.

Glad you like your PSC 1315. It's a pretty good printer. I've had only one jam in several months use. And the jam was pretty much my fault!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 9:46 PM   #5

I know you wern't, Terry, and did not mean to imply you were. Your advice to Myke was excellent. And while I use the most-excellent 8 cartridge i9900 for the reason stated, I am an HP person for just the reasons you gave and in fact have owned and still own several HPs (photo and office type) over the years (we have a networked 5 computer household, what with college-age children).

In general, I feel you can't go wrong with an HP printer (often the best bang for the buck, too) purchase and so advise my college-level students in my computer/photography classes!

FWIW, I use RedRiver 13x19 and 8x10 Ultra Pro Satin papers http://www.redrivercatalog.com/in the Canon (excellent paper, excellent prices, excellent longevity), but prety much stick with HP or Kodak Ultima photopapers in the HP printers. (I produce/sell a lot of photos.) I generally feel that a particular manufacturer's inks are best matched by that manufacturer's products (HP inks, HP paper; CAnon inks, Canon Paper; etc. but my exception to that rule has been the Ultra Pro Satin. You may want to give them a try.

--Henry--
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:05 AM   #6

Thanks alot guys ! great advice ! yeah , sorry i did not specify what i wanted. I want a stand alone printer which is reasonably compact (so i can transport it in a backpack) . I'll surf the web for some HP models and price the ink.

Thanks again !

Myke
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:14 AM   #7

ok so i have been searching and found a few printers in my price range (around £100)

http://www.qed-uk.com/?vp=5&bg=739&b...0&ird=1405

http://www.qed-uk.com/?vp=5&bg=739&b...0&ird=1405

I think the first link is more affordable really. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could take a look at it, just to make sure im not buying something that isnt any good.

Thanks alot !

Myke
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:42 AM   #8

Both the HP 335 and 385 are outstanding ... I have and use while traveling their older brother, the HP 245. Output is outstanding, and the ink cartridge is standard and available almost everywhere. I do recommend HP paper for the best, longest lasting (like 75 years) prints.

The reason for the "high" prices on these printers is the fact that you generally pay more for smaller ... one of those supply and demand pricing things!

I have been looking at the 385 to replace my 245 as it has a battery and a car adapter is not necessary ... again, outstanding 4x6 size output. Either one, though, would be a good choice and the 335 is priced right if you do not need the battery option and bluetooth of the 385!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:57 AM   #9

Great ! thank you so much, i think il buy the 335.

Thanks again for all your help.

myke