Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:27 PM   #1

Default NEED ADVICE FOR NEW CAMERA FOR CAMP PHOTOS

I am the photographer at a children's summer sports camp. I need to shoot sports action indoors and outdoors as well as general action and non action photos. This is my first post to this board. I am presently using a SonyMavica digital camera that I have had for a long time. I use this at camp for some simple shots but have relied on my 35mm camera for most of the work.

We are now ready to move to the real digital world. The printer who does our yearbook wants me to shoot at 4-5 mpixels and he says more would be better. He wants 2560 x 1920 resolution. I also upload the pictures over a telephone line to an internet site. The Mavica worked great for that since the res was low and they went up quickly before I lost the connection.

I don't even understand what a megapixel is!! And I am in charge of choosing this camera. The budget is about $1,000. I need to shoot all day long and the batteries have to last. I need to shoot long distance so I get soccer action, and have been using a 300 mm lense on my 35 mm camera and I need that as a minimum on the digital. I have purchased PaintShop Pro but I have not started working with it yet.

Any and all advice would be helpful.
ADRIENNE BERGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:43 PM   #2

Make sure you can put a separate flash on the camera with some power - the built in ones might not have enough power for indoor shots.

Well, 4-5 MP with a big zoom. Sounds like the Nikon 5700 might do. Not sure if it's within your budget.

Inspect the specs carefully in Steve's reviews.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 3:50 PM   #3

Steve has suggested the camera that will meet your requirements. Click for Digital (https://www.clickfordigital.com/deta...productid=7131) has the camera for under $100. The main holdback with big zoom cameras is image stablization. Panasonic will be releasing a new 12X zoom with IS this spring. You can read the press releases under the Breaking News link on Steve's home page.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:25 PM   #4
lg

Default Re: NEED ADVICE FOR NEW CAMERA FOR CAMP PHOTOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADRIENNE BERGEN
... The printer who does our yearbook wants me to shoot at 4-5 mpixels and he says more would be better. He wants 2560 x 1920 resolution.

Any and all advice would be helpful.
I was about to recommend the Olympus C-2100, but I was stopped cold by the 4-5MP requirements. May I ask what your printer is going to do with these photos? Are any of them going to be printed at larger than 8x10 picture size? I have used this 2MP camera at our church day camp, and got really great candid shots with the 10x stabilized zoom. It has the look and feel of the SLR you are already used to, and a built-in 38-380 zoom! It's easy to use, and you can find a new one for about $600. A 2MP camera won't be good for printing anything larger than 8x10's, but for making slide shows, getting great candid shots, posting pics on bulletin boards and for advertisements, it does a great job.

Whatever you get, you'll need at least two extra sets of high capacity rechargeable batteries. For AA batteries, that translates to 1800 maH NiMH batteries. Get enough extra memory cards so that you can shoot 300-400 shots each day before downloading them to your computer. For my camera, that's 2 64MB cards (For 4-5MP cameras you'll need a lot more). Don't spend time deleting shots during the day you don't think you'll want-- wait until the end of each day to do that. That will greatly extend your battery life, and with digital you'll find that you will be taking a lot more pictures.

If you've got the bucks, go ahead and get a good external flash. You'll find that the built-in flash for any of these cameras is not powerful enough for indoors shots in large rooms. Besides, moving the flash off camera greatly reduces redeye, which is a common problem with most built-in flashes being so close to the lens.

I'm sure others have suggestions, too, so I'll give them a chance. Happy camera hunting, and if you have any questions about the above, please let me know.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:59 PM   #5

Correction to my post: the camera is under $1000. LG has already purchased all the ones under $100.

The c2100 would be a good camera as LG has pointed out. I am also confused about the need for 4 or 5mp camera. The image stablization with the C2100 makes for a good action camera with a long zoom. The C2100 is a hard camera to find, the demand for the camera is very high.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:25 PM   #6
lg

:lol: LOL! :lol: Thanks, Phil!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 4:32 PM   #7

The Nikon certainly seems to be the best choice, but it may be a bit over the $1000 limit when you add in an extra battery, extra media card(s), external flash for long distance indoor shots, shipping & handling, etc.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 11:43 AM   #8

With consideration to what you've already heard take a close look at the following.

Minolta Dimage 7Hi
Oly 730
Fuji 602

You'll struggle to get exactly what you want.

Another option would be the Oly 4000 or 5050 with a 2x converter for tele work.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote