Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 11, 2003, 8:02 PM   #1

Default Flash For Nikon d 100

I am thinking of buying a nikon D 100. I have a Olympus FL-40 flash I use on my olypmus e-100 rs will this flash work on the nikon. Thankyou
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2003, 8:27 PM   #2
Administrator

The simple answer - NO. The FL-40 is an Olympus dedicated flash, you need a Nikon dedicated flash for the D100.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 8:41 PM   #3

Thank-you steve
Old Feb 11, 2003, 9:53 PM   #4

Of course, Steve means using the FL-40 with all the automatic functions ( TTL etc …)
Steve, I don’t mean to contradict you ...

My first thought is that flash could be used on any camera in manual or auto mode. This seems to be confirmed according to this article:

http://davidweikel.com/E10_samples/p...preflash.shtml

Quote:
As you have guessed by now, there is. Olympus mentions in the manual that the FL-40 can be used in automatic mode with non-Olympus cameras. It's just like using a Vivitar or Metz flash, the strobe does all the work, and the camera uses fixed settings
Quote:
The FL-40 is completely capable of operating as a stand-alone automatic flash. All you need to do is set the ISO and f-stop to match the camera. The sensor on the front measures the flash instead of getting the information from the E-10
This means that, if you are comfortable with non-TTL flash mode, you can use the FL-40 with any camera in Manual or better Auto-mode ( auto-aperture) , with these important cautions (my own thoughts):

1) Make sure the FL-40’s trigger voltage is safe for the camera hotshoe , this is likely the case, since the FL-40 is a recent modern flash , in doubt, measure it , and check with the camera specs, or ask the manufacturer for a maximum safe voltage.

2) Make sure the polarity of the flash trigger voltage match the hotshoe polarity

3) Make sure all signal pins, but the center one (the trigger signal), are isolated (referring to the plastic piece, as described in the above article) since Olympus and Nikon control pins/signals are different .

Put your camera on full manual exposure , and put the flash on Manual, or Auto mode and Bingo!

Warning: If you have no idea about one or more things above mentioned, don’t even try it, you have a chance to fry something :shock: , get a dedicated cute Nikon flash instead 8) My post is rather “educative” or “System D” kind

Regards
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:22 PM   #5

Thankyou Kcan It might be easier for me to just get the nikon flash thank-you for the insight.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:16 AM   #6
Administrator

I thought it easier to just say NO to start with

Dedicated flash units have electrical contacts that control various features and no two of them are the same. If you put the wrong flash on the wrong camera you can damage either or both devices. You wouldn't want to fry a $2000 camera on its first day of use.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:50 AM   #7

My dedicated Pentax flash has the conventional firing pin in the centre of the hot shoe and the dedicated control pin offset (like most I thought). Because it's dedicated, It's likely to be lower trigger voltage (mine was 5volt). so I'm pretty certain dedicated units like mine can work in non-dedicated shoes. And it works fine on my Fuji.

But Steve has a valid point if it's a dedicated unit of wrong sort in a dedicated shoe - when the offset control pin might mate and the signals are incompatible. If the offset pin wasn't mating, I might have less concern, although you still only have manual/auto flash features.

The 'frying of cams' should be less of a problem in a spectacular sense, since 'dedication' puts transistors and isolation between the high voltage circuits and the shoe. Incompatible signals might do damage, but at 5volts you're more likely to get screwed up functions - still I wouldn't risk it!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:26 AM   #8

Steve and Voxmagna, I absolutely agree with your points
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:40 PM   #9

Thankyou All I do appreciate your direct answer Steve sometimes they are the best. After finding a picture of the shoe on the D-100 I looked at the FL-40 Flash I do see the Pins are in Different positions. Thank-you again You may have save me from A $2000 MISTAKE.