Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:32 PM   #1

:?I am REALLY a newbie to this whole digital camera thingie. I have a Kodak Easy Share C340. Just got it a week ago. My cats are my favorite subjects and I cannot seem to take a decent pic of them. They are always reacting to the flash that causes all the pics to show them with their eyes squinting or closed. If I turn the flash off, it is too dark of course. I know, or at least I hope, there is an easy solution to this. Any help would be appreciated.
paulareenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

It sounds like you're using the red-eye-reduction option on your flash. If the flash blinks a few times, you're using this feature. That gives the cats time to react. Instead of this option, you want to use the flash setting that only flashes the flash once per picture.I glanced at an on-line version of your camera's manual. It looks likethe "fill flash" option is what they offer as the alternative. If you select that option and take a picture of the cat, you should get a single flash. However, there are various "scene" modes in the camera that will override what you choose for the flash option. If you are using one of them, you may get the multi-flash red-eye-reductioneven if you've set the flash to "fill" mode. So you may have to play with the camera a bit to find out how to get it to just flash once without warning the cats first.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:59 AM   #3

Flash is gay. A while ago, I was asked to take some shots of a friend's cat. I took two pole lights, took them apart and taped them together in 'T' shapes so that the light source, a usually vertical facing shallow bowl, was pointing a the walls instead of the ceiling. I then taped napkins over the bowls for diffusion (carefuly monitoring the temerature I might add!). I placed that cat (white) on a black chair for contrast, turned off my flash, and while my girlfrient wrangled the cat (very important), I took some shots. This was probably the best shot of the day.

The owner was blown away as she did not expect this kind of quality. I had a blast playing with my new Oly C-7070, my first digital camera, for the first time.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4

That was it tclune! Thank you! I told ya it was something simple.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:56 PM   #5

Flash isn't gay if you have the right equipment. If you have a SLR you need to get Gary Fong's Lightsphere, or Lightsphere PJ. they diffuse the flash very well. http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/index.asp?catid=13406&fileID=4917 I believe that he is going to come out with the Delta Diffuser in a little bit, which is for the flash on P&S digital cameras.
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:56 PM   #6

Well, it's just not meant for me to take pictures of my cats I guess. Now I get the red eyes when they are looking at the camera. Should I just give it up? Maybe just take pics of them when they are NOT looking at the camera? They are my fave subjects, and I see so many shots of animals looking at the camera. Why can't I do this?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:52 AM   #7

Get them in bright light and turn off your flash.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:45 AM   #8

Red eye is almost inevitable from a built-in flash. The good news is that it's absolutely trivial to remove. If you have any software like PhotoShop Elements, red-eye removal will be a menu item on it. Many of the on-line print-ordering web sites have red-eye removal as part of the web site. If I'm not mistaken, you can do the removal even if you're not getting a particular shot printed. Taking the red-eye out in software is indistinguishable to my eye from never having gotten it in the first place.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:44 PM   #9

Many software packages have special settings for animal eye reflections as unlike humans many cats & dogs reflect a green eye not red. This depends on the idividual animals colouring etc.
Attatch is a composite shot of one of our girls showing a slight green eye and the result of correcting this in paint shop pro.
Attached Images

limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:03 AM   #10

I second David French's suggestion. Existing light is always my first choice, whether I'm photographing pets or people. More pleasing results in every way.

Alisande

Alisande is offline   Reply With Quote