Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:40 AM   #1

Default Lens problem?

In the geriatric newbie stakes I seem to be going backwards.Ipurchased a c4000 oct 02 and went mad and bought a within warrenty c700 this was my solution to avoid adding t/photo lens to c4000 it was not cheap.Both cameras now have small mark on inside of outer lens.I am advised dont worry it wont affect images where have they come from and why should I not be concerned.Anyone know Raynox solution to adding filters.

jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:44 AM   #2

Check with www.2filter.com.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 6:22 PM   #3

Gibsonpd
Thanks for the link about filters Iwould love to know about other part. What causes tiny blemish inside outer lens is it temperature change or what? The camera may be going to Olympus re. hot pixels if so I will be asking them it is very discouraging.

jasm
Old Feb 16, 2003, 8:27 AM   #4

jasm

How did you discover the blemish inside the lens? Does the blemish show up in photos?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:37 AM   #5

Gibsonpd
No the blemish looks like somethiing lying on ouside of glass but wont blow or wipe off.Then closer look shows it is on inside of glass Iwas in a camera shop when I discovered it they say it might be a small flake of coating off glass it will have no effect on images.Iwas sure people with more experiance than I have would know of this on forum.

jasm
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:44 PM   #6

If this is a flake of coating coming off the lens I'd be worried. It will in certain circumstaces spoil photos with glare etc. How much more will come off in time??

It is strange for the coating to flake off. Once on (bar scraping) this stuff takes some removing. How could anything come into contact with it on the inside - very strange I'd say.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:17 PM   #7

If it is only a small mark, I doubt that it will affect picture quality. It's always been quite usual for glass lenses to have tiny bubbles in the glass - these look worrying when you discover them but actually have little effect, especially if they're towards the outer part of the lens. I imagine a larger defect on or near the lens's axis would have a more serious effect, including flare when shooting against the light.

Of course, if the camera is going for service anyway, it's certainly worth mentioning.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:44 PM   #8

Fenlander ,
Sorry to have bothered you I am becoming more hyterical daily, it is off centre I was in Jessops when I noticed it and the assistant assured me it would not affect image.Iwill mention it to Olympus it does seem to be a recent happening so thanks and I will try more P.S. TRIALS.

JASM
Old Feb 16, 2003, 6:54 PM   #9

hi,
my c5050 has a blemish on the lens too mine looks looks like a chip or a tiny crack, but its on the inner surface of the lens, towards the outer edge. thought it was lint or something on the lens but cant be removed......dunno when or how it happened. but so far it doesnt show on my pics. or at least i cant see it....

rick
dal81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 8:58 PM   #10

:x My personal opinion (maybe I expect too much) is that if I'm gonna pay $500 for a camera I expect the lens to be free of major defects that I can see with my eye...I have full knowledge that a small blemish near the periphery will not affect things much, but I am going to buy from a company that will stand behind their products and replace any with obvious defects...

I love my Olympus but if I saw an obvious bubble/blemish I would be talking with them.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote