Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 17, 2003, 8:02 PM   #1

Default QUALITY EBAY PICTURES/SIMPLE CAMERA

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU WOULD SUGGEST FOR A FIRST TIME DIGITAL CAMERA BUYER TO USE PRIMARILY FOR TAKING PICTURES OF GUITARS TO POST ON EBAY. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS POINT AND SHOOT, VERY EASY TO USE, AND CAN BE USED IN LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS. I WANT TO DISPLAY QUALITY PICTURES AND MY BUDGET IS UNDER $500.00
DANNYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2003, 7:49 AM   #2

The Olympus C4040, 4mp, 3X optical zoom and excellent optics with a f1.8 lens. This camera is excellent for low light conditions. Check Ebay and you can find some for under $500. You will be able to point and shoot with the auto settings or grow into the manual settings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:12 AM   #3

Another good buy is the Minolta S404. It's 4 megapixels and around $399.00 from Ritz (no tax). Steve gave it an excellent review.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:09 PM   #4
lg

C-2100 is very easy to use, 2MP, and takes sharp and clear pics. You certainly won't need any more than this for taking pictures for eBay.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 9:43 PM   #5

Default Re: QUALITY EBAY PICTURES/SIMPLE CAMERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYBOY
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU WOULD SUGGEST FOR A FIRST TIME DIGITAL CAMERA BUYER TO USE PRIMARILY FOR TAKING PICTURES OF GUITARS TO POST ON EBAY. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS POINT AND SHOOT, VERY EASY TO USE, AND CAN BE USED IN LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS. I WANT TO DISPLAY QUALITY PICTURES AND MY BUDGET IS UNDER $500.00
Just about any digital camera will do that in good light- for sure anything that you pay more than about $200 for. There are a very few dogs out there, so read the reviews.

Lighting is going to be the issue for you. When you say "LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS", keep in mind that a comfortable reading light is getting 'tward low light for all but the very pricey cameras - well over $500.

What light are you going to be shooting in? What else do you want to use the camera for?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:21 AM   #6

Thank you for your responses. I am going to use it because I want the items that I display on ebay to really stand out. Pictures that can be clicked on to enlarge and really pop out at you. I sell guitars, so in regular room light the guitars don't usually display their true color. I have had friends take pictures of the guitars out in the sunlight, but shadows are a real obstacle to deal with because the tops are very shiny. So I would like to be able to take good pics in my apartment nut I do not know if that is possible to take get good pics in that setting. I was at Good Guys and they were trying to steer me towards the minolta f100 or 404. I really want something simple with great detail, so I can't screw up to bad, thanks
DANNYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:44 AM   #7

Don't look much at cameras, look at lighting. Figure on spending about half of your budget on a good tripod and get some big sheets of foam core to reflect the light, do some reading, and experiment. Direct sunlight is not likely to be the best lighting..

One feature you will want on the camera is a remote shutter release. Experimenting with a tripod is much easier if you don't have to touch the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:45 PM   #8

I've got the Minolta Dimage F100 and I love it. I went and also got the RC-3 infrared remote control for it to do just what BillDrew describes, remote shutter control. It works great and you can find it for about $13.

Check out this CNET link about the F100 and accessories for it:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...1.html?tag=dir
Daddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote