Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 18, 2003, 6:42 PM   #1

Default Nikon D-100 and windows 98

I see the minimum requirments for the D-100 Is windows 98 SE, A person at work said that I should not need the Second Edition its just security updates, Are they correct or do I need SE. Thank-you in advance.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:05 PM   #2

Default A little more than that...

The SE package would be more like what is known as a "service pack" in the later packages. It replaces a lot of files and libraries with different ones to correct bugs and allow different features.

If the Nikon functions were designed around these later libraries you may get erratic operation or even failure.

Tim
TimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3

Wait, let me get this straight. The only way the OS requirement would be relevant is if you were to connect the camera directly to the computer using a USB connection, right? If so, you can bypass this "requirement" by purchasing a $20 media card reader.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:35 PM   #4

There is also the question of the software which comes with the camera. Its possible that it would require Win98SE. Of course, you could (as Hyun suggests) use a USB reader and then use photoshop or some other editing software which wil let you fine tune the pictures an print them if you want.

For what its worth, Win98SE not only fixed problems (security and bugs) it also added lots of new drivers (like USB drivers.) If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend upgrading to Win98SE. There were some serious bugs in Win89 that SE fixes. If you aren't having problems.... well... maybe not. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it. It's a better OS.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Where Can I get the SE version
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:44 AM   #6

This seems a simple problem. If Win98 is going to be a problem it's likely to be with most cams. USB was the weakest link, so if that's the case, it will be similar with a card reader. You're more likely to encounter usb issues solved by BIOS upgrades.

So why not get the cam you want- or even a reader first, if the software installs and runs on Win98 with all the service pack upgrades then you haven't lost anything. If you have a problem - migrate your OS upwards. I'm running stuff for 3.1 and 95 on Win98SE. However in most cases it's the manufacturers drivers that run. 98SE and above will include more 'generic' drivers. But with the cam software you should be ok. Perhaps watch out for card readers without drivers that rely on Windows default drivers to creat their 'removable drives'. XP is a different ball game - just make sure you're future proof by making sure there are drivers or a website to download them.

Regarding 'latest libraries' it's the usb remote drive function that's most needed. Most cam software doesn't give you much that a decent editor can include. So as long as you can get pics either off cam or a reader - that's highest priority.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:20 AM   #7

Sounds like it's time to move up to Windows XP. It's very stable and has a lot of other impovements over previous versions of Windows.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 12:08 PM   #8

Moving might seem logical - until you do a scan and find the software that isn't compatible - but actually it might be OK!

I'd recommend Partition Magic's dual boot option. Keep your Win98, install another OS (I'm running Win2K) and select which one you want to run. Keep the old OS live until you're sure the stuff re-installed on the new OS works.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Moving might seem logical - until you do a scan and find the software that isn't compatible - but actually it might be OK!

I'd recommend Partition Magic's dual boot option. Keep your Win98, install another OS (I'm running Win2K) and select which one you want to run. Keep the old OS live until you're sure the stuff re-installed on the new OS works.
Given the price of hard drives these days, you shuld consider buying another hard drive, instlling your new OS on the new drive, and using the BIOS setting to pick which one you boot from. That way when you get everything working, you have an extra hard drive. Probably not much more money than the software to do a dual boot, though not as easy to switch between OSs..
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote