Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:53 PM   #1

I just purchased this camera yesterday after reading tons of reviews. So far, I am extremely pleased. However, I have been trying to take some inside and outside pictures at night or very low light to practice using the twilight and candle mode. I realize that I can still take a pictureif the vibration warning comes on but I havebeen unsuccessful in getting an unblurred shot. Ineed some help!!! I read some posts about increasing the ISO to400? Anyone with any suggestions, PLEASE!

I am also new the forum thing and maybe someone has already addressed this and I was not aware.. Apologies if so...just point me in the right direction.
divotj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:56 PM   #2

In low light, the camera selects longer shutter speeds to get correct exposure. Using a higher iso will alower for shorter shutter speeds. A tripod will help eliminate camera shake for static shots. However, if your subjects are moving, you will have to use both flash and higher iso's to stop action. This is not an issue with your camera...all p&s digicams experience this issue and struggle in low light.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:58 PM   #3

That's the thing; if I use the flash in any situation, I have not taken a blurred shot. What would I ever need to switch to Twilight, Twilight Portrait or Candle mode for then? (assuming in my situations, therewould be no reason to turnoff the flash)

Can you explain when I would need to increase the ISO to 400 as well as the EV to max? Does EV on the + side make a picture that would potentially be dark turn out a little brighter?

Thanks for all the help..as you can tell, I am just starting to learn all this 'photo jargon'

Also, one last question. I have a 3 year old. Again, if I use theflash while he is moving...no blur...if not, I get a blur.Any suggestions on some good settings for this type of thing (and potential t-ball or little league hockey)?! Please and thanks!
divotj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:33 AM   #4

I find the twilight and candle modes (and the other scene modes as well) to be useless. These modeskinda give you the effect you want, but don't allowyou to make adjustments to exposure and often don't dial in enough of an effect. In twilight mode the camera, fires the flash but still uses a long shutter speed to make sure the background is properly exposed. The "classic" time to use this would be when taking a portrait in front of a famous landmark at dusk or at night. If just the flash fired, the subject would be properly exposed, but the background would be all black and not visible. The candle mode I find to be extremely useless. Again, long shutter speeds are used to accurately expose the background. However the flash does not fire to prevent the flash from being the main source of light and overwhelming the soft candle light. Since long shutter speeds are used in both cases, the subject must remain still...otherwise you get motion blur. Your manual will probably also tell you to use a tripod in these situations to prevent camera shake. Also as you have found, it is not easy to get a 3 yr old to sit still. I would simply leave the camera in "p" mode or auto.

ISO refers to light sensitivity. Whenever you are in a lower light situation (or a situation where you need faster shutter speeds to freeze action such as sports) you can bump up the ISO to achieve the shutter speed you need. For example, when you go from 100 iso to 200 iso, you can use a shutter speed that's twice as fast. However, this comes at the expense of noise (which is similiar to grain in film). Whenever you see the handshake warning would be a good time to bump up the iso.

In terms of shooting sports, you may struggle a bit with this camera (as you would with any digital p&S). You have a limited zoom which means you'll need to get close. I would shoot in shutter priority and choose at least 1/500...the camera will choose the correct aperature. If you get the underxposure warning, bump up the iso until it goes away. Also make sure the camera is in continous focus mode (to keep track of the moving subjects). You could alos set your camera to burst mode, which allows you to shoot several pics consecutively in a short period of time.

I would make sure you take some time to read your manual and most importantly experiment. A book or two on the basics of photography would also be helpful.

Good Luck!!

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:22 AM   #5

Use a tripod.

Most likely the "blur" is caused by shake - any nondeliberate motion of the camera while the shutter is open. The longer the shutter is open, the more likely there will be some motion unless a tripod is being used.

If you don't have a tripod, try proping up your camera with books, bean bags, cushions, ... and use the self timer so you don't move the camera releasing the shutter. No where near as useful as a tripod, but it will show that you can get rid of the "blur" by using a tripod. Leaning against a wall, post, door frame, ... will gainseveral stops, but is not asusefull as a tripod.

Another kind of "blur" is motion blur - motion of the subject while the shutter is open. That is likely to be the limit when shooting fast subjects in low light, e.g., hockey.

If your flash is most of the light for the picture, there will not be motion blur or shake because the duration of the flash is very short - likely less than 1/1000 sec. It doesn't really matterif the shutter speed is much longerbecasue the scene is only lit for a very short time. Just keep in mind that the light from the flash does not reach very far.

And if Iforgot tomention it, USE A TRIPOD in low light.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote