Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:27 PM   #1

Default Help with first camera

I'm looking for my first digital camera, and after several weeks looking need some advice.

Must have at least the following features:
2.0 MP
3x optical zoom
AA battery power source
100-400ISO range
USB connection to computer
Movie with sound

Was very interested in Fujifilm FinePix S304/3800 until I discovered the 100ISO limit. Any help much appreciated.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:33 AM   #2

The Oly C4000 or C730 sounds good.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:09 PM   #3

Take a look at canon's A40.Great camera for amatures with many features like these you asked.
belucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 4:15 AM   #4

seems to go either way for the 4000 and 730. after reading a number of comments made I'm still not sure if the 4000 would be the better first digital camera or the 730...?
Old Feb 23, 2003, 4:30 AM   #5

what is the 730 like to use in direct comparison to the 4000? have read far too much about far too many camera's and I need to simplify the choices - a lot.
The 4000 and 730 are the two main contenders, but where I am are near impossible to see what the two are like side by side. I'm tending a little more to the 4000 now, given that it's the cheaper one and seems to be a little more user (read - amateur!!) friendly.
Too much to think about, and making the decision isn't coming too easily!! :?
Old Feb 23, 2003, 5:14 AM   #6

Top of my list were sensitivity, resolution, good auto focus/white balance for the max print size I would regularly make and a viewfinder system that works in bright/dark light.

My argument is, if you cannot get a pic. in the first place (too dark or cam won't focus/balance or you can't see) then everything else becomes irrelevant. These were the things my first 1.2Mpix cam did badly. But I still learned a lot.

Now look at the sort of pictures you think you will be taking most, and see whether my criteria help and any more you can add to narrow the choice - remember sometimes there will be tradeoffs in performance and features. For a first cam I would't put high quality movie at the top of my list. DV cams do it better.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 5:26 AM   #7

If this is your first digicam, you won't want to start with the C-4000 or 730...they do require a significant amount of expertise to produce satisfactory results. I know this because I graduated to the C-4000 frm the Oly D490Z, and I was totally perplexed! The 2 mp cameras were pretty much 'point and shoot', which is what I want, but the newer cameras require a learning curve! Granted, once you figure out the exact settings for the C-4000, you will get incredible shots, but as a 'newbie', I would be happier with a 2 mp camera that requires no 'thinking'...there are still several 2 mp models with 3X optical zoom out there, for not much money!
I still miss my Oly D490Z, which my ex took with her...it was 'point and shoot' and 'no problem'...
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:28 AM   #8

Johnny, I agree with what you say with the exception that if jinx has experience with film SLR's with manual settings, etc. (he didn't say), then he probably wouldn't be happy with a point and shoot camera...

I am not a good photographer, but have been past the point and shoot stage for many years, and am delighted with my C4000Z as a first digital camera.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:49 AM   #9

Default Re: Help with first camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
100-400ISO range....
Watch out for the manufacturers specifications of ISO - it seems that the top one or two ISO values advertised are pretty much useless because of noise. Read the detailed reviews carefully for what they have to say about noise - that is what determines how usefull the high ISO values are.

High ISO is also one of the things that makes for high price. If that is going to be your main use, you could be better off using film.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:05 AM   #10

BillDrew is right....I was being generalistic about 'sensitivity' - perhaps I should have said 'useable sensitivity'! It might matter to get your pics - and often goes hand in hand with the cams ability to do the auto things well. Big fast lenses give clues.

A cam with a f1.8 lens is less likely to be poor, compared to an f3.5 lens the size of your little pinky and claiming 400ASA.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote