Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:35 PM   #1

I recently purchased the KM Maxxum 5D kit with the 18-70mm lens.

What suggestions does anyone have on how to take photos insidethe house at relatives houses over the holidays?

I want to make sure I get some better photos than with my point and shoot.

Thanks in advance.

stlphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:32 PM   #2

Well, you could try out the built in flash.

Try auto mode with the flash and check out your results.

If your room isn't too dark, you could also try setting the ISO to ISO1600 or ISO3200 (ie. very sensitive to handle low light situations) and see if you can get a decent picture without flash.

A third option is to buy an external flash like a Sunpak 383 and attach it to your hotshoe. Put the flash on auto and swivel the head so that the flash bounces off the ceiling towards your subject. You get a real pro look.

Here's an example of a shot taken with an external flash bounced off the ceiling. This was a dimly lit room.
Attached Images

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:07 AM   #3

Absolutely great advice. Thank you very much.

Now, on to practice and buy flash.

Again, Thanks....Mike

stlphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:01 PM   #4

I have had excellent results using my Canon EOS 20D with an 420EX external flash. I set the camera on manual mode, set the shutter speed at 1/250 , Appature at about f/8 and ISO at 200. The camera sets the flash. The exposures are perfect this way.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:57 PM   #5

Wildman, can you post a pic using your flash?

I'm always interested to see how people "get a handle" on their flash.

Actually, the built in flash on the 20D works pretty good in a pinch, for short throw stuff.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:40 PM   #6

Terry...

I'd love to help, but I'm connected at 28.8 (on a good day). The method I use is called "dragging the shutter". It has worked every time I've tried it.

Wish I could upload a picture, but it could take a month ;-)
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:34 PM   #7
A3D

Wildman wrote:
Quote:
Terry...

I'd love to help, but I'm connected at 28.8 (on a good day). The method I use is called "dragging the shutter". It has worked every time I've tried it.

Wish I could upload a picture, but it could take a month ;-)

Dragging the Shutter: You can take flash photographs at shutter speeds that are slower than the flash sync. For example, if your shutter syncs at 1/60, you can also use 1/30, 1/15, 1/8 and so on. This is called dragging the shutter. Dragging the shutter allows you to record some of the ambient light along with the flash exposure.
To do this, figure your F-stop for the flash exposure. Then, read the meter at that F-stop to determine the corresponding shutter speed at that F-stop. Set camera to the corresponding shutter speed.
For Example: A room meters F2.8 at 1/30. Let's assume you are going to shoot your flash at F5.6. Shooting at F5.6 at 1/60(or your given sync) creates a properly exposed subject but the room appears very dark. Meter the room exposure at F5.6 and the shutter speed drops to 1/8.

Now, take the photograph at F5.6 at 1/8 and you will have a well exposed subject and also record the lighting in the room. You will need a tripod at these slow shutter speeds and a subject that is not moving about.

A3D
A3D is offline   Reply With Quote