Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:10 PM   #1

HI...I need some help please. After doing lots of research on zoom cameras, i narrowed my decision down to 2...the panasonic fz5 and the canon s2 IS. i mainly decided on the canon, but now come to realize that it has no "Sports" mode like the panasonic does. OH NO! The whole reason I am looking for a new camera is for the zoom and to take pictures of the kids running around. Could someone confirm if this is true, thatthis $450 camerahas no sports mode? And if it is true, is there an alternative "mode" in the menus that I could use. I"m just really surprised by this being that it's a pricey camera. Thanks for your help.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:33 PM   #2

You can put it in aperture priority and select the largest aperture (smallest number). That will open the lens all the way and give you the fastest shutter available. If you set aperture priority at wide angle and put it at 2.8 it should keep the maximum aperture available as you zoom. That is the same thing most sports modes do. Aperture priority is an automatic mode, once you set it you don't have to fool with it as the lighting changes.

If the shutter still isn't fast enough to freeze the action you could crank the ISO up. I wouldn't go beyond ISO 200 except for shots you know will not be printed larger than snapshot size.

Shutter priority isn't as good for the purpose.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:13 AM   #3

Yes, keep in mind that something like "Sports mode" on a camera is a little like"Rock" or "Jazz"equaliser presets on a sound system. A high end sound system mightnot have presets but will allow you to precisely manually setthe equaliser to your liking. If the camera has enough manual control you should be able to achieve the same effect even if there is no preset.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:52 AM   #4

I'm not sure that "sports mode" is all it's cracked up to be anyway. Most the time when I've tried using it on my Fuji s602z it has used a slower shutter speed than Auto, and thus blurs more often :S
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:44 AM   #5

I don't know about P/S Cannon cameras, but on the Rebel (300d), sports mode implies a predictive Autofocus. Most people don't find this terribly helpful when actually trying to use it - you tend to get unpredictable results because the camera it trying to be extra smart. However, at least in that case it really does mean something more than setting the aperture wide open on that camera.

sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:58 PM   #6

I assume by you asking this question, you are leaning towards the S2. Otherwise you would have already bought the Panasonic with the Sports Mode.....right?

Like many others have said, the sports mode is a "preset" mode, which can easily be manualy set also. The sports modes of cameras are simply "preset" to usually higher shutter speeds to accomodate the freezing of action shots. Therefore you could simply go into the shutter priority mode and set a high shutter speed.

Of course this depends on lighting situations. Whether indoors or outdoors, etc. If indoors, you will need as much light as possible, thus maybe using the aperture priority mode and setting a low aperture to allow more light. Or, if outdoors, and the light is sufficient for all shooting scenes, just select a high shutter speed.

Bottom line is, if you really like the S2, buy it. The camera has all sorts of capabilities to compensate for sports shooting.

Another idea would be to look at www.pbase.com and check out all of the photos that have been taken with the Canon S2. You can search their database of camera images by camera type and I know the S2 is in that database.

Good Luck.
Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:01 PM   #7

Brian Randall wrote:
Quote:
I assume by you asking this question, you are leaning towards the S2. Otherwise you would have already bought the Panasonic with the Sports Mode.....right?

Like many others have said, the sports mode is a "preset" mode, which can easily be manualy set also. The sports modes of cameras are simply "preset" to usually higher shutter speeds to accomodate the freezing of action shots. Therefore you could simply go into the shutter priority mode and set a high shutter speed.

Of course this depends on lighting situations. Whether indoors or outdoors, etc. If indoors, you will need as much light as possible, thus maybe using the aperture priority mode and setting a low aperture to allow more light. Or, if outdoors, and the light is sufficient for all shooting scenes, just select a high shutter speed.

Bottom line is, if you really like the S2, buy it. The camera has all sorts of capabilities to compensate for sports shooting.

Another idea would be to look at http://www.pbase.com and check out all of the photos that have been taken with the Canon S2. You can search their database of camera images by camera type and I know the S2 is in that database.

Good Luck.
Here is the link to the database for Canon S2 images on pbase.com

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s2_is
Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:04 PM   #8

Thank you so much for your input. Yes, I am leaning toward the Canon, and after that last post, I think that 's what I"m going to get. Thanks for the link to the pics. they are great!...especially the soccer ones. That's what I want to use the camera for, so it was very helpful. I guess once I get it, I can play with the manual modes and figure out how to use it in "sports mode". Thanks.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:49 PM   #9

The lack of a "sport" program did not inhibit me in the least in buying my S2IS. After all, like an earlier poster put it: just go to aperature priority. Works fine for me.
RickLP is offline   Reply With Quote