Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:42 PM   #1

I am looking for cameras that are 5 mp or above and that have some type of stabilization system. So far I have found the Panasonic Z20, the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and the Minolta Dimage. I think this would be a nice feature to have – especially if using the lens zoomed out often. Do you agree that it is a very helpful feature or do you think it is more of the line an unnecessary gimmick? Thank you very much.
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:31 PM   #2

Im expecting my FZ20 on the 7th. The main reasons for purchase is the IS as well as the non-proprietary hot shoe and shutter release and the awesome pics people have taken with it. If you go into the panasonic forum you will find quite a few.

As far as a difference right now I have a panasonic LZ2 which is a smaller camera with a 6x zoom and IS, Ive taken several pics to compare with IS and without there is definately a difference even at 6x definately a requirement at 12x. I also compared it to cameras without IS, also a big difference, and with IS if I remember right you gain 2 f-stops which helps a bit.

As far as comparing with the other cameras you listed. I was not impressed with the minolta at all. Its been noted that the FZ20 is high noise, well when compared to others it seems that they just have more in camera noise reduction which results in soft images even in ISOs that shouldnt need reduction. And sidexside comparison of noise the only ones that were strikingly better were the DSLRs. Go to dpreview they have a lot of info to compare as well as IS images.

Heres one thread with some macros there are many more I think squirel has a FZ20 he takes awesome pics as well http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:36 PM   #3

many of the Panasonic cameras now offer OIS. the FZ5, FZ20, and FZ30 all meet your criteria of 5MP or more, and all offer superb optics. i have had an FZ20 for a year, and it's a very capable camera. the OIS is a definite advantage, especially when using long zoom settings, and will let you shoot handheld at speeds you couldn't achieve without it. i've successfully used mine at speeds as slow as 1/30 second, handheld, at long zoom settings, without blurring the image.

the FZ20 is no noisier than any other camera in its class. there has been a lot of talk about noise, but all digital cameras produce it, it's just a matter of whether or not it's objectionable. as a general rule, the more MP on a given sensor size, the worse the noise will be. the FZ20 puts 5MP on a 1/2.5" sensor.theFZ10 used the same sensor with 4MP, and was a bit less noisy, because thepixels weren't so densely packed. all that said, while the noise in the FZ20 is often noticeable at full size on a monitor, it is seldom visible on a print, even up to 8x10, unless the shot was taken in low light and high ISO. the key with the FZ's is to use ISO settings of 100 or less whenever possible. at these settings, noise may be present, but it's minimal (and very comparable to other super-zoom cameras of the same resolution), and if you really want to get rid of it, there's plenty of free noise reduction software out there - Neat Image and Picture Cooler are a couple that work well.

the FZ20 takes very good pictures. as Mnosbor suggested, you should visit the Panasonic forum and browse around. there are a number of folks there with FZ20's (and FZ5's and now FZ30's as well), and you'll get a good idea of the kinds of shots the the FZ can take.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4

You can look for the Kodak P850

-5mp

-12x optical zoom

-image stabilisator

-and the list goes on . . .
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:08 AM   #5

Image stabilization is a must if you want to shoot handheld with 8x or more zoom. It really makes the difference between a great shoot or a great attempt.

I own some Panasonics for a while, and their OIS system works exellent!!
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:52 AM   #6
E.T

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
Do you agree that it is a very helpful feature or do you think it is more of the line an unnecessary gimmick?
What do you think if you don't have to increase ISO/noise two steps and you can use 1/100s shutter time instead of 1/400s at full zoom?

High ISO settings are used to achieve higher shutter speeds either to freeze action or prevent camera shake in hand-help photography. The Konica-Minolta A2 has an Anti-Shake system which reduces camera shake. It turns out that the anti-shake system works exceptionally well. So well that in cases where ISO 1600 does not allow a sufficiently fast shutter speed for hand-held photography with the 20D, the A2 managed to produce quite sharp and noise-free pictures using only ISO 200.
http://www.neocamera.com/feature_dslr4.html
Now remember that 20D is Canon's DSLR...

But for moving targets IS don't work so well because you have to still use fast enough shutter time to stop motion.

mnosbor wrote:
Quote:
Im expecting my FZ20 on the 7th. The main reasons for purchase is the IS as well as the non-proprietary hot shoe
Well... flash shoes with those specials controls give one plus, you don't have to tell flash used ISO, aperture/f-ratio or position of camera's zoom.

You can find really good test shots of different ISOs here if camera in question has been reviewed.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...tall=1&start=0

And here's some comparisons between IS and Fuji's high ISO.
http://www.videozona.ru/photo_tests/...Z30_page05.asp
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:38 AM   #7

Since I have a Powershot S1 IS, I can no more live without image stabilisation and the more recent ultrazooms have even better image stabilisation. With its twistable display and NiMH battery the S2 is currently the most versatile 5MP ultrazoom with IS, but the Kodak P 850 and the Panasonic FZ5 are cheaper and probably have a better lense.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 4:01 PM   #8

E.T wrote:
Quote:
mnosbor wrote:
Quote:
Im expecting my FZ20 on the 7th. The main reasons for purchase is the IS as well as the non-proprietary hot shoe
Well... flash shoes with those specials controls give one plus, you don't have to tell flash used ISO, aperture/f-ratio or position of camera's zoom.

The panasonic has to be at 100 ISO to get the flash to fire, the panasonic flash automatically changes that with a different flash you have to make sure its set to it.

When you have 5 flash units its nice to be able to actually use them. Its good that I can get one that communicates with the camera, should I want to, though there has been some question as to how much the panasonic flash does compared to a standard flash. I just dont want to be locked into having to get an expensive propriatary flash if I dont use it enough for it to be a bother to do a bit more fussing to use one I allready have.
mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:05 PM   #9
E.T

mnosbor wrote:
Quote:
I just dont want to be locked into having to get an expensive propriatary flash...
Why you need to be locked to proprietary flash?
Metz makes few flash models which have removable adapter (propably contains some control/hot shoe interface electronics) which you can fit to pretty much any camera using right adapter. Also those brand specific flash control functions work with them.

I just can't understand why those aren't sold commonly in US.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:06 PM   #10

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:

I am looking for cameras that are 5 mp or above and that have some type of stabilization system. So far I have found the Panasonic Z20, the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and the Minolta Dimage. I think this would be a nice feature to have – especially if using the lens zoomed out often. Do you agree that it is a very helpful feature or do you think it is more of the line an unnecessary gimmick? Thank you very much.

Absolutely NOT a gimmick. The only gimmick's that I wish camera manufacturers would stop immediately are the DIGITAL ZOOMS, which IMO are worthless.

IS (Image stablization) is critical for low light hand held photography. Now, if you are shooting in good lighting situations and can bump the shutter speed way up, then the IS will probably not be necessary.

So, it really depends on your photography needs. If you are going to be doing a lot of night time or low light photography, then by all means, get a camera with image stablization. If you take a majority of your photos outdoors in well light settings, then you probably won't need it. Just make sure your shutter speed is high enough to freeze the action.

Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote