Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 25, 2003, 2:46 PM   #1

Default Flashpath or Upgrade Windows?

Hi, Purchased my new Olympus C-4000 zoom last week and have not been able to install the software into my computer. Seems I have an upgraded windows 95 (windows 4.10) build (per system check) which dell calls windows 98 second edition. Even though I have a usb port the olympus software willl not support it. Olympus said the only thing I can do is a full installation of Windows 98SE or better, or purchase a FlashPath adapter. Would a media reader work? Any recomendations.. Thanks in advance, Jim from, Ct.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2003, 2:52 PM   #2

Jim

The original Windows 98 had many problems with USB support. Microsoft's solution was to come out with Windows98SE. This OS supports USB very well. Any USB device may have problems with the original Windows 98. You did not provide the specs of your current computer but I suspect is a slower Pentium version. You might consider upgrading your computer. Call 800-360-7561 (U.S. only) and they can send you a copy of the Service Pack for the original version of Windows. This will upgrade you version to Windows 98 SE.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 5:50 PM   #3

I've got FlashPath and they're really last resort. For a start, if yours is an older model like mine, they won't take cards bigger than 64 Mb (?or was it 32?). Then they are going to be very slow transferring the many many pics you'll be taking.

I'm not sure what they mean't by 'not supporting a usb port'. Perhaps they just took fright at your OS - you need Win98SE. If your pc has usb, then you might have to check your mother board for flash BIOS upgrades if it's oldish. You could also add a 4 port usb card. Some souls do this to get round any early usb BIOS probs.

I can't see many probs going Win95 to 98SE on an older pc. Where you will hit the brick wall will be post editing your pics when you need speed, memory and a big hard drive for storage. But if you don't expect to be too ambitious - you can take your time even with a P133 or P90 and 128Mb of RAM.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:26 PM   #4

Default Thanks for your help..

Again, Thanks for your informative responses. Looks like I will have to upgrade my operating system to something higher. Just purchased this computer 3 years ago, but.. Dell told me I have Windows 98 second edition, but while looking in my Quicktime file it says my operating system is Windows 95 (windows 4.10) build, which would indicate that it is a 95 upgrade which Olympus will not support. Have been in contact with Dell and awaiting a reply.. Don't think I will do the FlashPath route.. Will let you know how I make out.. Thanks again, Jim in Ct..
Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:40 PM   #5

Did you try the Add Hardware feature in Control Panel? I had to use this to install my friends Olympus camera. This was after several tries just using the Olympus software install. The PC would nor recognize the camera. When I used the Add Hardware program, Bingo. Give it a try.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 4:04 AM   #6

Fortunately Dell's are pretty generic pc's. As long as you have the hardware usb connectors, there should be no reason why you can't backup your data files and get a clean version of 98SE installed.

What happens when you visit the Microsoft auto update site - that will tell you what you've got? Some people don't like it but I choose the stuff to update (with my firewall privacy on!) and it works. Ignore the security things to start with unless you're paranoid - just look for operating system and usb things.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:32 AM   #7

Jim,
I am curious about where you are getting your system info from.

The reason I ask is that, when you look at the system info on "QuickTime" it will tell you that you have Windows 95 (build 4.10) even if you have Win98SE installed.

I know this because I have Win 98SE installed with every update and patch Windows has ever provided for it, yet QuickTime also tells me that I have Windows 95!!!
(No surprise that QuickTime would report the misleading information, since it is an APPLE product! :x )

To get the true system info, select "System Properties" from the Control Panel.

Do you have other USB devices installed and working properly? That could also be a clue.

Good Luck,
Dave
deebeeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:22 AM   #8

Talked to Dell and they assured me I am running Windows 98se, also found the original cd labeled "windows 98 second edition". So I guess Quicktime is incorrect saying I have the windows 95 upgrade to 98. Still getting error message from the olympus software saying driver unavailable for this devise after hooking up the camera to the usb port. Also tried the other (have 2) usb port, but no good.

Now assuming I have windows 98 se as Dell tells me, I remember when I bought this machine I copied many files from my old windows 95 machine onto this one. Perhaps there was a conflict as some of those old 95 files may not have converted to the 98 enviroment and may be giving a conflict??? Not sure, but I will contact the guy who did the transfer for me and see what he says.

Gotta put everything on hold for a bit as work calls (Grr!) Will keep all informed my the outcome over the next few days.

Again, thanks for all your help and suggestions..

Jim from CT.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:46 AM   #9

Well, Looks like I found my problem and have corrected it (I hope)

I had to install the driver for windows 98 (which I did on many occassions). Olympus software brought me to instructions on searching for the driver to install. I followed them each time correctly (I thought). When browsing for the driver it said go to the usb icon, click the folder below that matches my system (there were 2 below (Win98ME & Win2kXP) then click OK. I kept clicking on Win98Me, and that was my problem. What I finally did was just click on the first USB icon and it searched for the driver and installed!!! What a dummy I am!!! Off to do some work.. Will play around with the camera and software as time permits.. Again thanks for all your help.. and sorry for being a dummy... And I am happy to say I do have Windows98 second edition (Whew, that Quicktime threw me off saying I had windows 95) Thanks again, Jim from Ct.